Madstad Windshield - Advice Please - Honda CTX700 Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
jclar14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 43
Garage
Unhappy Madstad Windshield - Advice Please

I purchased a 22" Madstad windshield, and have had it on the bike since November last year. I may be experiencing some buyers remorse... and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, and if so whether anyone has any advice to resolutions... Here are my questions/gripes.


  1. The wind mounting has become loose twice where the two lowest well nuts have completely pulled through the opening under the cowling (the lower two closest to the headlight), I've had to remove the windshield and cowling twice, each time replacing the OEM wellnuts (90111-KW3-003). The top two mounts are fine, it's just the lower two. It seems like the wind pressure against the top of the windshield is pushing the top of the windshield back causing the bottom of windshield to push out. Any advice... I've re-installed twice, and it works for a while, but eventually well nuts keep pulling through the opening.
  2. The buffeting is horrible. I'm 5'-10". When I measured myself for the bike, I had to add an extra couple of inches because of the Corbin seat I have (it adds a couple of inches of seat height vs OEM seat). I have the 22" windshield, and have it set about 3/4" way up to max height. Top of windshield sits just above chin. It seems if I lower all the way, it's really bad (seems like my eyeballs are constantly rattling), the more I raise, the better it seems to be, but doesn't eliminate.
I invested quite a bit in this windshield... way more expensive than the factory OEM tall windshield, but these things got such great reviews. I'm finding it's bearable most of the time... but having to re-install the well nuts every few months is getting frustrating. I'm to the point I may just go back to OEM shorty windshield. If anyone has any advice... I'd certainly appreciate it.
Ruby likes this.

Let's Ride...

Jason C
Carrollton, TX
jclar14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
mtvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N. of Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 953
First, put a washer on the underside of the mount (below) the slots/hole for the well nuts. No chance slipping through that way. In fact, MadStad mounted mine and that's what they did.

As far as buffeting... N model? seems more complaints for un-faired. You mentioned height, but you need to play with angle as well. I am on a faired and have the angle all the way down and even ended up putting shield in shortest position.

Also check where buffeting is coming from. May be coming from below and hitting you coming up. Move your legs around, move back, forward... change sitting position and try to locate where most of the buffeting is coming from.

Not sure if effective on the N, but the MadStad helped me so much for head on wind, I started to get buffeting from underneath which is why they now have "lowers."
Ruby likes this.

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
mtvic is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: New Orleans Metro
Posts: 1,322
I’m sorry for the troubles you are having. I wish I had good news. My Madstad experience was awful too. Did not get too many miles to witness the mounting issues, but I would be deaf by now had I kept the C and the Madstad on it. It simply was awful.
Ruby likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2017 Honda CBR1000RR
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
Evangelos k is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclar14 View Post
I purchased a 22" Madstad windshield, and have had it on the bike since November last year. I may be experiencing some buyers remorse... and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, and if so whether anyone has any advice to resolutions... Here are my questions/gripes.


  1. The wind mounting has become loose twice where the two lowest well nuts have completely pulled through the opening under the cowling (the lower two closest to the headlight), I've had to remove the windshield and cowling twice, each time replacing the OEM wellnuts (90111-KW3-003). The top two mounts are fine, it's just the lower two. It seems like the wind pressure against the top of the windshield is pushing the top of the windshield back causing the bottom of windshield to push out. Any advice... I've re-installed twice, and it works for a while, but eventually well nuts keep pulling through the opening.
  2. The buffeting is horrible. I'm 5'-10". When I measured myself for the bike, I had to add an extra couple of inches because of the Corbin seat I have (it adds a couple of inches of seat height vs OEM seat). I have the 22" windshield, and have it set about 3/4" way up to max height. Top of windshield sits just above chin. It seems if I lower all the way, it's really bad (seems like my eyeballs are constantly rattling), the more I raise, the better it seems to be, but doesn't eliminate.
I invested quite a bit in this windshield... way more expensive than the factory OEM tall windshield, but these things got such great reviews. I'm finding it's bearable most of the time... but having to re-install the well nuts every few months is getting frustrating. I'm to the point I may just go back to OEM shorty windshield. If anyone has any advice... I'd certainly appreciate it.
Adding washers to the bottom of the well nuts can help but the problem will always be too much weight and the added air pressure just over powers them. Tall CB windshields had the same problem. I got rid of the lower well nuts and replaced with bolts, washers, rubber washers, and nuts. This worked but was a PITA to tighten or loosen when doing maintenance. Eventually just tack welded washers in place on the lower mounts and that cured the problem completely.


As far as the buffeting, there are several things to consider. 1. If you have the older Madstad system, you need to replace the shield with the newer redesigned shield correctly sized to compensate for the 3" raised seat height. 2. Your shield height is not tall enough to compensate for the extra 3" in seat height the Corbin gives. You need a much taller shield or replace the Corbin with a Seth Laam seat. With your current shield height and setting, too much disturbed wind is flowing under and over the shield and then dumping into the cockpit instead of flowing up, over, or around you. The proper shield height should allow the shield to be lowered all the way down and angled back so the height is just about nose level to get the best performance. In your case, your probably about 3 - 4" off.
jfc77320 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
bob witte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Just south of Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 175
For the record. Like Mike ( @mtvic ) cited above, I have a fairing edition of the MadStad system (including lowers) and I am more than satisfied.
bob witte is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Crumpler, NC USA
Posts: 5
Jason,

At 50-55 mph, where does the wind blast coming over the top of the windshield hit you, or does it fly over the top of your helmet?

At 50-55 mph, where does the wind coming off the sides of your windshield go? Does it slip past your shoulders, or does it get sucked back in behind the windshield?

allen
allen framen is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 656
MadStad


Factory installed my Madstad with just rubber weldnuts.....


I removed rubber weldnuts and replaced with stainless machine bolts, flat fender washers, and nylock nuts.
That was three years ago and more than 10k miles...


No problems at all
No loosening
As sturdy as the day installed....by me


I did have them remake my windshield wider and taller then they originally used to make them based on their measurements....then the wind buffeting died down and I was happy.

This a test signiture
Danny W. Burdick is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
bob witte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Just south of Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny W. Burdick View Post
MadStad

Factory installed my Madstad with just rubber weldnuts.....

I removed rubber weldnuts and replaced with stainless machine bolts, flat fender washers, and nylock nuts.
That was three years ago and more than 10k miles...

No problems at all
No loosening
As sturdy as the day installed....by me

I did have them remake my windshield wider and taller then they originally used to make them based on their measurements....then the wind buffeting died down and I was happy.
Danny, like @mtvic and myself, you have the fairing version. I think the MadStad problem he's have are for the naked system?
bob witte is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob witte View Post
Danny, like @mtvic and myself, you have the fairing version. I think the MadStad problem he's have are for the naked system?
The naked version doesn't use well nuts nor does it have a cowling. He's talking about the faired.
jfc77320 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
bob witte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Just south of Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
The naked version doesn't use well nuts nor does it have a cowling. He's talking about the faired.
Roger that, thanks for clearing that up.
bob witte is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome