Madstad re visited - Honda CTX700 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Madstad re visited

I still haven't been satisfied with the windshield since installing the risers. So I took all apart and managed to put the bracket under the rises. Now it is in the same spot as before. With the 24" shield 2" wider and mounting holes moved up 2" I mounted it back. Had to move the windshield up due to too low over the headlight. Moved it till it would hit the same spot as the 20" would with it all the way down and tilted back. I had drilled new holes so I went back to the oem holes. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet due to rain, but looks a lot better this way verses the other way. Of course doing it this way limited me on the risers tilt back due to hitting the brackets of the Madstad. But it tilted enough and still give me the rise I needed. Like the way the handle bars are adjusted now. I had to use the top mounting plates from the risers on the bottom in order to be able to tighten the pinch bolts. You have to tighten the rear first and tilt it back to get to the front ones. Takes some fooling around with it but had success. Now the bottom is good and the top is about 2" taller than the stock shield. I needed 4 hands to do this, but managed it. I wouldn't try this unless you are mechanical inclined. Will see how it does once I can put it in the wind. Will report back on my finding once I check it out. I really can't go any lower with it. If it would have been a stock 24" with the standard hole pattern it probably would have been around 4" than just the 2" gain.
David
Ruby and The_Bachelor like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Garage
I have been researching the windshield issue of the 700N. I would like to put one on my N

After reading all the posts on here about windsbields I am beginning to think that there is no reasonable windshield that will meet the needs of the average rider. On my vstar it was a simple process and the National I put on there works perfect.

This bike sure is quirky
Ruby likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacandaga700 View Post
I have been researching the windshield issue of the 700N. I would like to put one on my N

After reading all the posts on here about windsbields I am beginning to think that there is no reasonable windshield that will meet the needs of the average rider. On my vstar it was a simple process and the National I put on there works perfect.

This bike sure is quirky
That’s sound thought, save your money.

It’s not the bike is quirky per say, it is that A: Madstad, and any others do not test besides on “paper.” I waisted 250 bucks on a Madstad that also looked like an eyesore. B: it is Honda, and others, that on economy bikes just slap a piece of plastic. It does something, all right.

Having ridden more expensive bikes, and having one that the STOCK, adjustable windshield is heaven, and SMALL, but so well thought and I have 0, zip, nada buffeting, I learned my lesson. Size does not matter.

My tigers screen is tiny. However, it works like a dream, up to 110 I have taken it there is no buffeting. Couple weeks ago we encountered a bug storm, I was the only one with 2, literally, bugs on the top of my helmet, when the rest could not see, and had to stop to wipe their helmet shields. And that with a screen that fully extended comes, borderline, at the base of my neck, and borderline wider than the width of my headlights. Not a freaking eyesore that you have to look through.

Oh, btw, vented windshields WORK.
Ruby likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacandaga700 View Post

This bike sure is quirky
The Madstad works better on the N than the other ones. The 20" did a decent job with it tilted all the way back and lowered all the way. Others has stated this and I can say they are right. The recommended 60 degree that Madstad recommends doesn't work on the N model. There isn't a windshield out that works great on the N model. Will test out the 24" as soon as the rain breaks. I hope it does well. With the Madstad 20" I tried every way possible with the adjustment and ended up doing what others here had suggested.
David
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelos k View Post
That’s sound thought, save your money.

It’s not the bike is quirky per say, it is that A: Madstad, and any others do not test besides on “paper.” I waisted 250 bucks on a Madstad that also looked like an eyesore. B: it is Honda, and others, that on economy bikes just slap a piece of plastic. It does something, all right.

Having ridden more expensive bikes, and having one that the STOCK, adjustable windshield is heaven, and SMALL, but so well thought and I have 0, zip, nada buffeting, I learned my lesson. Size does not matter.

My tigers screen is tiny. However, it works like a dream, up to 110 I have taken it there is no buffeting. Couple weeks ago we encountered a bug storm, I was the only one with 2, literally, bugs on the top of my helmet, when the rest could not see, and had to stop to wipe their helmet shields. And that with a screen that fully extended comes, borderline, at the base of my neck, and borderline wider than the width of my headlights. Not a freaking eyesore that you have to look through.

Oh, btw, vented windshields WORK.
A) Madstad does do more than paper creation of bikes. They build nothing without an actual to bike to test
B) Yes they can still get it wrong as proven by my going in with a fairing bike and testing several makes to fix their own creation
C) Every person is a different fit and configuration so at least with adjustability and re making screen sizes you can get better customization

And jumping to ...
Z) Why would anyone buying a naked bike be complaining about wind protection not being perfect? . It's NAKED! What am I missing here? You want to feel nature around you and you generally use full face helmets to protect you, so you expect to get the same protection from a fairing bike on a naked bike? You can improve it, you can't make it what it isn't, which is why you bought it, because you liked what it is. Not trying to flame, but love what you bought, make it as good as you can, but don't expect what it can't be.

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And jumping to ...
Z) Why would anyone buying a naked bike be complaining about wind protection not being perfect? . It's NAKED! What am I missing here? You want to feel nature around you and you generally use full face helmets to protect you, so you expect to get the same protection from a fairing bike on a naked bike? You can improve it, you can't make it what it isn't, which is why you bought it, because you liked what it is. Not trying to flame, but love what you bought, make it as good as you can, but don't expect what it can't be.[/QUOTE]

I have owned several naked bikes with aftermarket windshields and this is the worst bike I have ever put a windshield on. I realize it's not a faired model. I have just put it back to were it needs to be. It didn't work good where I had in on top of the risers. Madstad designed it to work where I have it now. The 20 did ok job and I bought a 24hoping to make it work like it did in the original design. Hope the 24 works better, but I can always put the 20 back on. I started riding Naked bikes in 1968 and that is a lot of years with all kind of bikes. So don't tell me that this bike can't be somewhat wind management. I know when I have it to my liking. Madstad makes a great windshield. I have used them on Can Am Spyders, Goldwings, and CTX. And also if it takes a Chinese windshield to make it work I'll buy it and put it on my non American bike.
David
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:49 PM

Garage
I had so much trouble with the Madstad that I bought for my "N" that I returned it for a refund. I am not aiming to bash this company, but the windshields I tried were making my bike a science project. The Puig that I bought is far from perfect but I find it easier to live with because of the reduced cost and I am not constantly making adjustments during my ride. From what I read on this forum there are many satisfied Madstad users, I just could not find anything near a "sweet spot" for myself, actually I had so much vibration (buffeting) from the suggested settings that it blurred my vision. I had high hopes for this product when I bought it and was greatly let-down when I realized that it was not going to work.
I guess I might be saying "don't let this experience spoil your over-all good experience on the CTX", I think I have a good bike that is fun to ride and I don't want to let one poor trial run turn me off.
Gary
Ruby and david1954 like this.

Ride it if you can, mod it if you can't!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvic View Post
Z) Why would anyone buying a naked bike be complaining about wind protection not being perfect? . It's NAKED! What am I missing here? You want to feel nature around you and you generally use full face helmets to protect you, so you expect to get the same protection from a fairing bike on a naked bike? You can improve it, you can't make it what it isn't, which is why you bought it, because you liked what it is. Not trying to flame, but love what you bought, make it as good as you can, but don't expect what it can't be.
I bought a naked bike not because I wanted to ride a naked bike. I bought naked because I wanted to customize it my way.

I added the Madstad (20 i think) and find it acceptable. I have it at about 60 degrees and all the way up, plus the weird piece that covers below the handlebars. Without that, I go a lot of buffering.
Ruby and david1954 like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Up date on windshield

Had a chance to make a few miles today between rain showers. From 0-60 mph no head buffering at all and love the wind protection of the 24" with the added 1" on each side. Still some wind, but unless you ride in a bubble you will get some wind. From 60 to 85 mph same protection and no helmet buffering. I wear a module helmet with the visor up most of the time and it didn't fool with it at all. I am now satisfied with my wind protection. Took some fooling with it. I still have it tilted all the way back and about 1/2 way between up and down adjustment. I still look over the shield. Now to see how my butt acts to the seat whenever I can get some distance riding in. So far it has done good. I also changed the way my handlebars are so that will affect my setting position so tomorrow I will be able to get in at less a 100 miles.
David
jfc77320 and mtvic like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1954 View Post
Had a chance to make a few miles today between rain showers. From 0-60 mph no head buffering at all and love the wind protection of the 24" with the added 1" on each side. Still some wind, but unless you ride in a bubble you will get some wind. From 60 to 85 mph same protection and no helmet buffering. I wear a module helmet with the visor up most of the time and it didn't fool with it at all. I am now satisfied with my wind protection. Took some fooling with it. I still have it tilted all the way back and about 1/2 way between up and down adjustment. I still look over the shield. Now to see how my butt acts to the seat whenever I can get some distance riding in. So far it has done good. I also changed the way my handlebars are so that will affect my setting position so tomorrow I will be able to get in at less a 100 miles.
David
This has always been my experience with the Madstad N when sized and adjusted properly. One of the reasons I harp so much on manually measuring before buying. That extra inch or two can make all the difference in the world.
david1954 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in