Odd behavior at speed - Honda CTX700 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Odd behavior at speed

I brought the bike out on the highway for the first time today, and I immediately noticed that it has a tendency to shift about. It'll be barely noticeable at 55 but getting up to 65-70 I can feel the it moving from side to side. It's like my waist is the pivot point and the wheels will shift at the road, while my body stays stable. It's not a slow movement either, it'll move fairly quick.

When I rode years ago the bike I had then weighed the same and I don't recall alot of moving around. Anyone else experience something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:08 AM

I dont get this feeling.... I would look to see if the tires are balanced or if there is uneven wear on the tires. Following that, I would check frame alignment...
mzflorida likes this.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Garage
Do we presume correctly that yours is a used bike? If so, is this a slow shifting back & forth, or more rapid movement like a wobble? Actually, both of those speak to a front fork problem.

If yours is new, then back to the dealer you go!
explorecaves likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 AM

Was the wind blowing hard? Try a different road to eliminate pavement conditions. Rain grooves make my bike wander.
Mdaniels4 and 350Four like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Soft tire?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Garage
howdy and welcome to this forum
i put a michelin pr4 on the rear about 5,000 miles ago and the pr4 on the front about 2,000 miles ago. i have recently noticed rather severe wear on the left side of the rear tire. it does now wander around like you describe when on roads with wear that leaves the center of the lane higher than the tire ruts on either side. when on new or super flat roads , it does not do that. i stopped recently at the honda dealer and talked to the service people who said that wear pattern is common on the pr4. they did not say but i will venture that it is because of the harder center rubber with the softer rubber to each side. the softer rubber is wearing noticably because of the normal slope to most road surfaces which has you slightly leaning to the left side when you are plumb to the world. so, you might look at your rear tire and see if you see the abnormal looking wear on the left side of the tire. if so, that may be the source of your scoot moving around more than normal. i do keep 40 pounds air pressure in the rear and slightly less in the front.
ken
Mdaniels4 likes this.

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, more info would have been good.
The bike is brand new, got it from the dealer with 1 mile on it. I drove it to work and noticed the movement on the 202 east highway, there was a lot of traffic since it's Phoenix area. When I got to work I checked tire pressure, it was 31/36, but I'm a big guy so I put them both at 42 before I left at the end of the shift, just to see. I then took the 101 north into Scottsdale and it didn't shift around as much, but it was still doing it. On the way home I took surface streets, so nothing there. It's not a continuous movement, like an oscillation, it's just a little shift then it stops, then shift again, all random. As for wind, we usually have a breeze here but it's not terribly fast.

On saturday, a co-worker that rides regularly will take it out and make a comparison. I could just be overthinking it
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:31 PM

updated description makes me think it is the rain grooves....

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:57 PM

Since it is brand new, take it back no matter what. The dealer will test it to be safe, and you'll have a record of bringing it in in case he's wrong down the road (no pun intended). They will do it for free and it will relieve your concerns.

I personally would NEVER hesitate to take it back as driving it the rest of the ownership I'd be questioning it and my safety. Of course you'll hear a lot of different answers, but I'm the type who won't lube a running chain on the bike, while others will.
Vulcan Mediator, 350Four and Ira like this.

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorecaves View Post
updated description makes me think it is the rain grooves....
That's what I think too. You said surface streets were fine, just highway were doing it. It's road conditions with the tread pattern. I have the roads, and no issues except the steel slatted bridge going between Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's the only time it occasionally wanders.
Ira likes this.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in