Odd behavior at speed - Page 2 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
That's what I think too. You said surface streets were fine, just highway were doing it. It's road conditions with the tread pattern. I have the roads, and no issues except the steel slatted bridge going between Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's the only time it occasionally wanders.
Steel grated bridges are notorious for bad traction. There is nothing for the tire to grip. Better to slow down on grates.
jfc77320 and Mdaniels4 like this.

CTX 700ND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just wanted to revisit this thread and thank you folks.
I took the bike out at 5am to go to a meeting and traffic was light out on the highway. I immediately noticed the difference in the way the bike moved now that I could examine the road condition a little more. It also became clear that the afternoon traffic is causing the shifting as well: on the early morning ride my bike would do the same stuff when I started to catch up to a large vehicle like a box van/semi/dump truck, but would remain fairly stable otherwise. Since I have no fairing the large surface area on my upper body tended to cause some buffeting as well. And then someone told me to relax my death grip on the handlebars, that the bike would be fine.

All in all a few more rides and knowing what's going on has settled the issue and I'm much more comfortable zipping around, so thanks again.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Macarthur View Post
...at 5am ... I immediately noticed the difference in the way the bike moved now that I could examine the road condition a little more. ....

Physics.

There is much less air movement from heat convection at 5am compared to later hour on hot, sunny day. Road surface is much cooler.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Macarthur View Post
Just wanted to revisit this thread and thank you folks.
I took the bike out at 5am to go to a meeting and traffic was light out on the highway. I immediately noticed the difference in the way the bike moved now that I could examine the road condition a little more. It also became clear that the afternoon traffic is causing the shifting as well: on the early morning ride my bike would do the same stuff when I started to catch up to a large vehicle like a box van/semi/dump truck, but would remain fairly stable otherwise. Since I have no fairing the large surface area on my upper body tended to cause some buffeting as well. And then someone told me to relax my death grip on the handlebars, that the bike would be fine.

All in all a few more rides and knowing what's going on has settled the issue and I'm much more comfortable zipping around, so thanks again.
The handlebars on the CTX are wide to help ease the amount of force required to maneuver the bike. This is fairly typical for a motorcycle designed as a cruiser with a longer rake. The rake of the CTX is about half way between a typical cruiser and sport bike. This means it takes much less force to turn the CTX than a typical cruiser and slightly more than a sport bike. The wider bars coupled with the shorter rake can make the CTX a little more sensitive to unconscious rider movements or when moving during periods of heavy wind and heavy buffeting. These movements are easily transmitted through the bars and tank when gripping or holding them too tightly. Newbies especially have difficulties when they tend to grip everything too tightly out of fear and adrenalin rush. Its critical to relax and let the bike move around slightly. Fighting it will only exacerbate the situation making it worse.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 AM

I understand where you're coming from. I ride for my work commute, and about 28 of the 30 miles (1 way) is on the interstate, so regularly riding between 65-80 mph. I just assumed it was the wind, which stays about constant at 5-10 mph with gusts of 15-20 mph, but this bike is so incredibly light that those gusts will push me a lane and a half over sometimes. I also notice that when trucks pass (pickups a bit, but a ton from 18-Wheelers) that the wind pocket they push will move the bike under me at a roughly 20 degree tilt.

I'll be the first to admit that my tires are in bad shape (rear just went flat, and both are low on tread). Unsure if this is because the bike is so light and I'm just used to riding heavy cruisers (my last bike was 200 lbs heavier than my CTX), or the wind is much more noticable at speed, or if this is a function of the tires needing replacement.

Last edited by Brian Lee Verrett; 10-11-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typo
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM
TIP

I find that the bike will move a bit when dealing with wind gusts. Don't wory about it or try to fight it. Instead get used to a light touch of countersteering , not a lot, and the bike will straighten right up before you are pushed anywhere. Practice slight movements at speed without a wind and you will see how reponsive the bike is. Being pushed across a lane is very dangerous but by practising you will soon become one with the bike and automaticly correct this without even having to think about it. It will just become natural when passing trucks or gusty conditions. Probably not the bike or tires but you as a rider not getting comfortable with the way it handles. Time and practice will build confidence. The bike is very responsive once you learn how to let it do it's thing.
jfc77320 and Mdaniels4 like this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxdawg View Post
howdy and welcome to this forum
i put a michelin pr4 on the rear about 5,000 miles ago and the pr4 on the front about 2,000 miles ago. i have recently noticed rather severe wear on the left side of the rear tire. it does now wander around like you describe when on roads with wear that leaves the center of the lane higher than the tire ruts on either side. when on new or super flat roads , it does not do that. i stopped recently at the honda dealer and talked to the service people who said that wear pattern is common on the pr4. they did not say but i will venture that it is because of the harder center rubber with the softer rubber to each side. the softer rubber is wearing noticably because of the normal slope to most road surfaces which has you slightly leaning to the left side when you are plumb to the world. so, you might look at your rear tire and see if you see the abnormal looking wear on the left side of the tire. if so, that may be the source of your scoot moving around more than normal. i do keep 40 pounds air pressure in the rear and slightly less in the front.
ken

Same problem...
Have original tires on it
Almost 4yrs...just below 13K
36 front
42 rear
Over 200 pounds added to bike from original when riding....

Looking at Pr5's
and a source costwise....

I'm gonna let dealership change em out
since I have the they are responsible for anything no matter what warranty..

This a test signiture
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Ira

Garage
To add my 2 cents to the good advice already provided-it sounds like the tire were under-inflated-(I believe the owners manual recommends 36 front 42 rear) and yes if it's new it's under warranty so get it checked out if you have doubts while the checking-out is free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in