Trailer hitch for CTX700. - Honda CTX700 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Trailer hitch for CTX700.

Is anybody aware of a hitch fabricator for the CTX700? I would like to tow a trailer with mine this year. Any information will be appreciated.

edgar
2014 Honda CTX700ND
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (Sold)
1987 Honda Helix CN250
2003 Harley Davidson Sportster 883, Anniversary Edition. (Sold)
1985 Honda Elite 150 (Sold)
1990 Honda Pacific Coast 800 (Sold)
1985 Honda Magna V30 500 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
Is anybody aware of a hitch fabricator for the CTX700? I would like to tow a trailer with mine this year. Any information will be appreciated.
I'm not aware of anyone who is selling hitches for the CTX700. If you find someone to jerry-rig one up for you, make sure that the hitch installs on the upper frame and NOT the swingarm!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM

it's been done
do a search here
look:Honda CTX700 Forum - Search Results for trailer hitch
When the guy comes along to tell you it can't be done and no motorcycle should have a trailer hitch, ignore him. (he'll be along later today, I'm sure)
Study up on it and make your own decision.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabum View Post
it's been done
do a search here
When the guy comes along to tell you it can't be done and no motorcycle should have a trailer hitch, ignore him. (he'll be along later today, I'm sure)
I'm not that guy, but I am the kind of guy that believes in engineering. If a bike was engineered to have a trailer hitch, then it would be an option from the manufacturer. To haphazardly come up with something to travel at 70 mph with at a great risk to yourself and others tells me there is no regard for human life. Sure enough, someone has or will come up with some sort of contraption but how negligible will it be? It's not unlike trying to put a fifth wheel hitch on a car.
Just my opinion.

Glenn
Devilsfan likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabum View Post
it's been done
do a search here
Check again, I never said it can't be done, nor even that it shouldn't be done, I just answered the question @Hondafan actually asked. From his question, I infered that @Hondafan, like most of us who are on this forum for any length of time, was already aware of the hitch @Rebel13 built for his Sally (and may even be the reason for the @Hondafan question about a fabricator in the first place).

Knowing that it has been done, @Hondafan clearly wanted to find someone who has one for sale or is willing to make him one. The search link you gave him won't help him find his fabricator. Except for @Rebel3 showing what he did for himself, most if not all the results of that search are folks just talking about hitches (and not where to buy them).

How do I know this? Considering a hitch myself early on, I spent a lot of time researching a source. And along the way, I learned the right way how to design it, thus my parting shot warning about what not to do.

Since I was in the middle of something when I posted my comment, the brevity of it was in stark contrast to my usual long winded posts (such as this one).
Hondafan likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitte View Post
Since I was in the middle of something when I posted my comment, the brevity of it was in stark contrast to my usual long winded posts (such as this one).
Blaise Pascal, in Provincial Letters was translated to have said:
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.

But I digress,

To the point, I think I see none above accusing you of offending those who would hitch to the CTX. I see some wary of the idea, some skeptic of anyone denying the idea, and some like yourself giving the best advice possible if it must be tried.
BobWitte likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is possible if you know anybody with actual design/engineering knowledge, don't just expect anybody or a welder to do it. If you don't know anybody to do this, then a high reputation in doing so is a must! Be aware that if you do have it done, it will be a one off and will require major modifications. If it is rated by a scale for difficulty in mods, it is at the top!

I have certinly done it, made two in fact. Ironicly I'm about to sell or toss out my first one, It is in my way. If anyone wants it, let me know! If you are serious about it though, look at my two threads throughly about it before inquiring as it is still not a bolt up mod and will require large mods to the CTX still!
Hondafan likes this.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
This looks like a good site, I may think about asking them to mod their VTX hitch to fit the CTX700:
Honda Hitches : Open Road Outfitters, Motorcycle Campers and Trailers, Harley Hitches, Escapade, Time Out, Mini Mate

I've seen excellent advice from one who says many best homemade or shop special built hitches mount to the passenger foot-peg mounts, but more specifically any solid frame point than does not add un-sprung weight nor get too close to moving parts or the exhaust. Sadly, I can't find where I saw that nor an example.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Garage
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in