CTX 700 Forum banner

ctx700 or dn01 please help me choose.

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jfc77320 
#1 ·
hi guys rob from australia here. i have my eye on a ctx700 2014 model with 4500 miles, 6000ks on it for $6000 or a dn01 2008 with 900 miles, 1400 ks for $7000 . i know some of you lads have had dn01s so can you please help me make up my mind. i will be using it mainly to get to work. not many around in australia so they are probably more expensive than the good old usa. i can tell there is a wealth of knowledge here so please give me your honest opinion. thanks

#4 ·
Depends on what you are more into? I currently have both bikes. And the DN-01 is better engineered. No maintenance shaft drive, where you will constantly have to grease that CTX chain. Brakes are superior on the DN-01. Power is about equal (CTX by a nose), but DN-01 is way smoother in riding. As stated above, gas mileage is far better on the CTX. Parts are harder to find for the DN-01, at least here in the States. No storage at all on the DN-01 (which you can add aftermarket givi bags to the DN-01), but unless you've added the Honda hard bags to the CTX it will only carry a pair of sunglasses in that tank cubby hole. It all comes down to riding both, and seeing which one fits you more comfortably. And also, which one you personally like better. Both are Hondas so they are both great bikes. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses over the other. I like them both and wouldn't get rid of either.

#5 ·
My biggest concern would be as stated, parts. I don't believe it's made anymore so the 10 year clock starts ticking on last production or model change. I've got friends with older Gold Wings and some dealers won't do anything other than "service" because they can't get new parts, and won't put on Ebay or used parts. Same with most major brands, including HD.

If you want it as collector bike, that's different.

The CTX hasn't been changed so parts will be available for a long time.

#6 ·
My opinion on it is that the DN-01 is first gen DCT tech, whereas the CTX is a few newer. That and age alone would push me towards the CTX. We have a dealer here locally who's had a DN-01 on the floor since he got it, and nobody wants to touch it. He won't lower the price on it to try to move it, either. Frankly, to me it looks like they took the best features of the DN-01 on put them into the NM4

#7 ·
My opinion on it is that the DN-01 is first gen DCT tech, whereas the CTX is a few newer.
Actually it is an HFT, and not a DCT. Not even remotely the same kind of transmission.
Frankly, to me it looks like they took the best features of the DN-01 on put them into the NM4
I don't know what those "best" DN-01 features you are referring to... but clearly not the shaft drive, dual front disc brakes, smooth V-twin engine, cool looking 50 series wide rear tire, and several other goodies. Other than it's unique looks it doesn't actually have much in common at all.

#9 ·
If its main use is going to be getting you back and forth to work you cant beat the farm tractor like reliability of the CTX700 while getting over 60 miles to the gallon. Scooter like fuel economy in a full sized motorcycle. I would imagine that fuel economy would be a top consideration and at $1.30 a liter it would cost you around $16.00 to fill up the CTX’s reported 12.4 liters or 3.28 US gallons fuel tank.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes a CVT with the name "hft", again, nothing in common with DCT.
Now obviously this is a CTX forum read by CTX owners and fans. So it's a "no-brainer" that the majority of recommendations will be pro CTX/con DN-01, or you clearly wouldn't be here on this forum. I was just trying to give him an unbiased comparison, being an actual owner of both models. If you posted the same question on the DN-01 forum you would get mostly DN-01 recommendations. It's all subjective.

Reactions: kujawskir
#11 ·
My decision maker would be: What can I get parts for...

Unless you are looking for something interesting as a second bike.

If it is a one bike garage, parts availability is number one in my mind.

#12 ·
The wife has a DN01 and it is one PITA to work on, for almost every thing you have to do. The HFT tranny can be problematic at times if the battery gets low we have found that you can not get it in neutral to start the bike. The HFT is actually a oil pump that drives the shaft to the rear wheel,not a cvt or a dual clutch trans. The engine is the same engine as the Deauville motorcycle 680 cc

#13 ·
Bad news... this is same case on CTX. My NM4 was in shop for 3 weeks, couldn't get back to pick it up. They ROLLED it out to me, turned key, made proper noises, gas pump... hit key nope, wouldn't turn over. Thy jumped started it, no problem, but wouldn't go in gear. Sat on charger for 15 minutes, finally ecm reset and was back to normal, bike ran fine.

Lesson is, these bikes are ECM dependent, and keep it on a trickle charge when not riding for a couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.