Re: coolant - Page 4 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 PM
TIP

You compare a broken cup holder to a broken radiator? I guess it would be a bit of a problem driving with a broken cup holder.
Ponydrvr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronRider View Post
@TLeventry, @Vulcan Mediator, @TIP, @350Four, here is the sad update. The radiator fan came loose from its housing and cut a semi-circular hole in the radiator itself.

Impressive photo of the half-moon cut is here on my FB page.

I need a new fan (not a problem) AND a new radiator.

The radiator is on backorder until September (!).

The kindly folks at Hudson Motorcycle dropped me off in Chatham so I have a place to sleep. All BnBs were full in Tilbury. Hudson Motorcycles called Rice Radiator, who, when they heard of the damage, were pretty sure they could REPAIR the radiator.

So I'm cooling my heels in a hotel/motel in Chatham and awaiting the diagnosis tomorrow. If they can't fix the radiator, then I will have to store the bike in Canada until a radiator can be ordered because it is completely cost-prohibitive to ship it home.

If they CAN fix the radiator I am going to head back to Windsor first, since I left my absolute favorite USB charger there - my go-to for all trips. That 14 miles/22km will be a good first test of the newly repaired radiator and newly installed fan.

If all is well, I will make my way to my cousin in Guelph via the 401 because if I break down, I need to be in civilization.

I'll ride around Guelph a bit and plan to go home via the border crossing in Buffalo, NY. I will stick to main highways until I hopefully get Scarlett home.

There is little that is more unsettling than having a motorcycle that you're not sure will make it home. This is her first mechanical failure and it is a DOOZY. 700+ miles from home, no replacement parts, and in a different country.

And each place I've stayed has been pretty...lame. Not a lot to do or see. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but this is not the vacation I had planned and I've dropped $300 in hotel rooms already, and the repair costs come next. By the time this is over, the cost isn't going to be in proportion to the enjoyment. It's not the money, per se, it is paying a lot to NOT have a good time that is bothering me.
Truly sorry about your vacation & difficulties. (vacations can be hard to come by for many, nowadays). Only 100 miles from home (I was about 23), my 2 year old '76 Yamaha XS650 had the battery die because the charging "brushes" had worn out!?! WTH? (hardly compares to your situation)
On a little positive note: for me & sometimes companions, every time some sort of problem had to be overcome, the successful conclusion provided great satisfaction. Those memories always seem to remain & stand out somewhat, over the time spent when everything was going smooth as butter.

As has been said, almost always; things could be better & they could be worse...Good Luck & Blessings to get you home safe.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
Wow. So weíre comparing a broken cup holder bracket to a hole in a radiator when travelling far from home. Interesting that a person would compare to 2 issues.
Iím wondering how one would plug a hole in a radiator..........Iím not thinking that a strap will help too much in this scenario.
Itís also surprising that a forum moderator would even take the time to type something as uncaring as what you said to a stranded fellow motorcyclist.
Oh well, I guess as a newbie here, I shouldnít even comment about a moderator who chooses to publicly try to humiliate a fellow forum member.
Enjoy your evening because I suspect youíre only getting warmed up.
I truly hope that if youíre just having a bad day that tomorrow will be better for you.
You think a broken cup holder has been my only failure? Yeah, you are noob alright!

I used that as a comfort for like issue in same location of the world very recently. As oppose to your pointless crybaby rant that probably hasn't even rode past your own state lines. Your mentality is just like your handle.

When a person is in a tough spot, sometimes a person needs a motivation kick in the ace to get back on track! Pity helps no one, it only comforts the failed. Be a victor, not a victim! When an issue arises, don't panic, problem solve! I'm not surprised to get all this negative feedback, we live in a backward world of helpless victim Snowflake's.

You want to help RedBaronRider? Than inspire and motivate her! She doesn't need pity and sorrow!

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP View Post
Just thought I would inform the rest of you riders about what I found this morning. Was going for a ride and thinking about Red Baron's problems I decided to check my radiator hose clamps. There are 5 of them and all of mine were loose. The 1 going into the top of the rad was holding nothing. I could spin it around with my fingers. I had no leaks but I guess they were still sealed. I tightened them all up using a small rachet, long and short extension and a 6 mm socket. Maybe that is something we all should be checking before we have a problem.
@TIP, great plan! I already had a clamp bust once - that's what my dealer said when I drove it home from a major service they did and found that I had a coolant drip.

Scarlett is a 2014 CTX700 with 43,000 miles on her (69,000 kilometers). Has anyone else had a similar problem with the CTX? And if yes, at what mileage and/or age? Several CTXers have passed the 100,000-mile mark. I was hoping to do that myself.

If I have another major mechanical malfunction, I would have to look at replacing Scarlett with a newer model. Or possibly a different one (gasp!). I did see a Kawasaki Z400 that looked peppy! But that is a sportbike. Better as a second pony in my stable. Not really a replacement for a touring machine that is equipped for long rides AND is nimble in the turns!

RedBaronRider
Dog is my copilot
Like RedBaronRider on Facebook
Watch RedBaronRider videos on Youtube

2014 CTX700A (6-speed, manual transmission)
Honda stock accessories:
*high windshield
*hard bags
*backrest (now removed)
*luggage rack
*cigarette lighter port in cargo box
Other accessories:
*Bestem 2012 Top Box
*Crazy Iron Engine Bars
-------------------
Former rides:
2011 Yamaha V Star Custom 650
2000 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1997 Honda Rebel 250
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Just popping in before my AM meetings start. Yay for decent wifi! (***knocks on wood***).

@TIP and @Wrongway, I think @Rebel13 just wanted to raise my flagging spirits with his post. Inspire me to think outside the box, keep trying to find a solution, and to give me hope that it will all work out.

I in no way am weak or helpless. I don't do mechanics. I have neither the time nor the patience, and I get easily frustrated with it. Then there is that more than full time job on salary thing. And the rest of life. It makes me MUCH HAPPIER to spend some of my more-than-adequate salary to have other people, who have spent YEARS wrenching, do the work.

Give me a pile of computer gobbledeygook and I can, through my old programming background, make sense of it. Give me a dizzyingly bad bunch of data scattered over multiple Excel sheets and I'll rationalize it, pop out beautiful charts and graphs, and make it work FOR a company and save them tens of thousands of dollars, if not much more. Hand me a half-million dollar project with hundreds of tasks and deadlines, and I'll execute it ON TIME and UNDER BUDGET. It is what I do. That's my sweet spot. That, and rock climbing and lifting weights like a boss (leg press personal record is 538 pounds on my fifth set for four reps - which is spectacular for a 100 lb skinny female).

@Rebel13 is a very experienced wrencher and he has a passion for it. I admire him for it and I love seeing his mods and imagining what I could do with my own motorcycle. Or more accurately, what I can pay someone else to do for me :-) Support local!

I am grateful for all the mechanical advice I have received, especially with this crazy situation. As @TIP noted, he decided to check his radiator and the clamps were loose - one so loose it easily SPUN.

And I am grateful for the kind words from @TLeventry, @Vulcan Mediator, @TIP, @350Four, and @Texas Roadrunner. On day 3 of this major mechanical malfunction, my spirits were taking a nosedive. There wasn't even a BAR open to get a beer! I appreciate @Rebel13's attempt to lift my spirits by encouraging me not to give up.

Thank you all, my CTX family. If for some reason the death knell tolls for Scarlett in the near future, I'd rather just buy another CTX. Maybe I can find a barely used 2014. At least I'll have another whole bike (Scarlett) for spare parts!

Good news - there is a train from Chatham to Guelph. The main purpose of this visit is to see my FAMILY. My beloved, distant Canadian family. And meet my 35-year-old 2nd cousin for the first time. So if need be, I take the train to see family, and worst-case scenario, Scarlett gets stored in Canada for a while awaiting parts and repair, and I fly home. And buy another motorcycle at home. I can afford a second pony in my stable.

So a heartfelt thanks to all of you! I will keep you posted! And feel free to follow along on the RedBaronRider facebook page!

Can we all kiss and make up now :-)
Rebel13, BobWitte, 350Four and 2 others like this.

RedBaronRider
Dog is my copilot

Honda stock accessories:
*high windshield
*hard bags
*backrest (now removed)
*luggage rack
Other accessories:
*Bestem 2012 Top Box
*Crazy Iron Engine Bars
-------------------
Former rides:
1997 Honda Rebel 250
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
Thumbs up Wow!

Boy have I been missing all the excitement! I haven't checked out this thread since "coolant" isn't all that enticing to me. Quite the saga I have to say and I'm glad to see positive results coming out of all this.

Oh, yeah, I'm going out in a minute and checking my hose clamps today!!
RedBaronRider likes this.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
@RedBaronRider, I do like your style!!

Ride safe.
RedBaronRider and 350Four like this.

Professor

Honda 2015 CTX700N DCT ABS (Silver Bullet)
Mods: (Check the Gallery)
Puig Universal Touring windscreen
CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape
Corbin standard dual saddle seat
Mutazu luggage rack assembly
Mutazu model FY hard saddle bags
Comie Top Case
Madstad kickstand shoe
T-Rex center stand
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
Hahahaha, @Professor*76. I am VERY stylish, especially when I am NOT wearing my Scorpion riding gear. Photo evidence of me being classically stylish with the Rat Pack.

RedBaronRider
Dog is my copilot

Honda stock accessories:
*high windshield
*hard bags
*backrest (now removed)
*luggage rack
Other accessories:
*Bestem 2012 Top Box
*Crazy Iron Engine Bars
-------------------
Former rides:
1997 Honda Rebel 250
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
@RedBaronRider I sincerely hope you have a solution by now, or imminently. If not, a couple of thoughts. One, there is a place called NCK Cycle Salvage in Woodstock, just down the 401 a ways. They are not open yet, but perhaps they may have either a used rad or would know of a similar one that could be made to fit your bike. Their number is 519 533-5177.

I called a local bike wrecker called Woody's outside of Perth. While they don't have one, they mentioned an online source you could check out called partshotline.ca I called but it is just an answering service with a message to put any parts request on-line. It is a national connection of motorcycle salvage yards.

Tip and Wrongway: you are close by. Do you know of any other possible sources?

Final thought. RBR: since you are in a real tough spot, and actually considering potential replacement, remember you will get about 25-30% premium on the american dollar compared to the canadian. you can check out similar bikes on kijiji.ca or other sources. There is a similar red bike, 2014 with only 9900 km asking $6000 canadian posted 2 days ago (fared bike, with floorboards and hard bags and a few other trinkets) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true I realize it is not an option to consider, but thought I would put it out there anyhow.

Hope things work out well, Phil
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
another bike that is closer to where you are (Toronto) asking $4700 with 17000 km on it https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true

Really hope to see a post where local rad guy was able to repair yours and get you back on the road so you can ignore these posts.

Do you have a AAA membership? If not, it may be useful to pick one up. I have a CAA Plus that runs be about $120 per year, but include sending a flatbed tow truck if my bike breaks down. Considering what a tow can cost, it can be a good investment, one that you would hopefully never have to use. Will tow up to 200 km. under that membership class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in