Helmet Repair - Honda CTX700 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Helmet Repair

The bottom plastic piece around the neck area of my helmet has come loose. I tried silicon caulk to glue it back in place with no success. Name a glue that works?
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 PM

Repairing helmets, other than the strap holds it on, is not something that is done. Glues, expoxy and paint can all be detrimental to the helmet.
Ruby and mzflorida like this.

2014 CTX700N
2016 Street 750
2012 wide glide
2006 sportster
2002 Suzuki LC1500
1996 Suzuki 1400
1981 Suzuki GS650
1974 Suzuki TS250
1965 Honda CL77
1958 Cushman eagle
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 AM

Depending upon exactly what is being glued and what kind of plastic it is, I would try regular epoxy. If the piece of plastic feels slick then there is a two-part epoxy formulated for plastics. Both available at places like Home Depot. Helps to rough up the mating surfaces with 100 grit sandpaper. If you use the epoxy formulated for plastics I suggest you mix and apply outside as it smells pretty bad.

Steve
DougE and Ruby like this.

2014 CTX700D

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM

By starting off with silicone caulking, you will now have issues with any other bonding material sticking to the area where you applied the caulking. There is a reason why silicone is used as a mold release agent.... Any of the recommended solvents commonly used to remove the silicone residue will be detrimental to the helmet.
Ruby likes this.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM

Clean off any residue with rubbing alcohol, let it dry. Shoe Goo will work, available at Walmart and lots of other places. Both the helmet and the plastic trim should be cleaned so there is no silicone left on either surface.
DougE and Ruby like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanIII View Post
Repairing helmets, other than the strap holds it on, is not something that is done. Glues, expoxy and paint can all be detrimental to the helmet.
Consider scraping the Helmet and getting a new one. I recently threw away my old helmet, it was worn out. Years back I bought a back up spare helmet, the same model helmet because I liked the helmet and the fit, you never know when your helmet can be damaged or stolen. I took it out the box a few days ago for the new riding season. It's always a good idea to have a spare helmet to go to when your helmet needs replacing.
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbrot View Post
Clean off any residue with rubbing alcohol, let it dry. Shoe Goo will work, available at Walmart and lots of other places. Both the helmet and the plastic trim should be cleaned so there is no silicone left on either surface.
Alcohol will not break down the silicone chains. It will only move them around making the adhesion even worse. The only thing I know of off hand that can break down the silicon chains is hexane. But that is definitely not something you want to apply to your helmet.
Ruby likes this.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:46 PM

I think a silicone adhesive was used and there should be no surface penetration of the helmet. After trying silicone glue on a car dash switch that had broken loose with zero success, cleaning the surfaces with alcohol and applying Shoe Goo the switch has held over 20 years, plastic and metal switch glued to molded plastic dash. Epoxy and model glue did not work either so pretty happy the Goo I had to repair shoes did the trick. My Bell Revolver also had a loose trim piece next to the chin bar opening and the goo has held for 6 years, the helmet is retired now.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 PM

Garage
Just my opinion here...
Helmets have a purpose other than being required by law.
If there are any defects then it needs to be tossed. I’m a fan of engineering and helmets aren’t designed to be glued together if they come apart. At least I wouldn’t be comfortable using it.
Our heads are more valuable than a glue bottle from a big box store.

Glenn
Ruby likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grburkart View Post
Just my opinion here...
Our heads are more valuable than a glue bottle from a big box store.
Reminds me of a old saying I heard years ago when a guy goes cheap on a motorcycle helmet "A $50 Helmet for a $50 Head."
Grburkart and explorecaves like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in