Kill switch Vs Ingition switch - Honda CTX700 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Kill switch Vs Ingition switch

Many moons ago when I was learning to ride trail bikes on the farm I was told that the kill switch shorted out the ignition coil while the ignition switch cut power to it - and that's why you only used the kill switch in an emergency. Does anyone have any definitive technical knowledge on this subject?

My preference is to use the kill switch routinely simply because if you've never used it before, finding it in an emergency means looking for it (yes I've been in that situation). I've got a DCT. The shutdown procedure I follow is: (1) select neutral - as per the manual, (2) kill switch to off then (3) ignition off. Is this bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The kill switch opens up the circut for the coils only, that is all it does, real simple, everything else is still operational. The ignition switch kills the main power for all systems.

There is nothing wrong with your 1,2,3 order as long as you put it in neutral first. #2 can be skipped or added, it won't make a difference either way, user preference.
vysmaster likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Garage
The MSF safety course teaches to ALWAYS use the kill switch. Most bikes this can be done with the front brake still on, and more importantly as you say, they teach that the habit of knowing how to find it is very important in an emergency.

I don't know if it still shorts the coils, but we were told in the old days the only damage there was burning out the points quicker, and points were easy enough to replace back then. No points in our electronic ignition, but a much more expensive module takes the place of those. Manufacturer should have done anything they needed to protect that in a kill switch situation.

Anyway, the icon on my "kill" switch looks more like ignition on or off positions, and I've been using it several times almost every day. I'm not worried.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

This is a tired topic here on the forum. Your owners manual specifically states not to use the kill switch except in an emergency. Modern computer controlled fuel injection systems with diagnostics need to go through the proper shut down procedure using the ignition switch. MSF is lagging in its information based on early EFI and carburetor systems. DOT only requires the kill switch on modern bikes in case of stuck open throttle runaway. The chances of this happening on a modern EFI bike are almost non existent.

Last edited by jfc77320; 06-18-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
This is a tired topic here on the forum. Your owners manual specifically states not to use the kill switch except in an emergency. Modern computer controlled fuel injection systems with diagnostics need to go through the proper shut down procedure using the ignition switch. MSF is lagging in its information based on early EFI and carburetor systems. DOT only requires the kill switch on modern bikes in case of stuck open throttle runaway. The chances of this happening on a modern EFI bike are almost non existent.
Last time I needed to use the kill switch was after a crash. The bike was on it's side and still running. I fumbled with the ignition because that's how I normally turn the engine off. Also, given this one has a DCT with no clutch lever - and I'm about to fit cruise control - I'd like to be familiar with the kill switch action.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vysmaster View Post
Last time I needed to use the kill switch was after a crash. The bike was on it's side and still running. I fumbled with the ignition because that's how I normally turn the engine off. Also, given this one has a DCT with no clutch lever - and I'm about to fit cruise control - I'd like to be familiar with the kill switch action.
By all means, know where it is but avoid using it unless you need it. The PCM on this bike hates being shut down improperly. If it senses there's a problem, it will shut YOU down. Virtually all the issues our members have had with the DCT have been do to improper shut down. What ever you do, make absolutely sure you put it in neutral before turning the bike off. Never use the kickstand to turn the bike off.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 AM

I know now it's improper to use the kill switch but I've done it on this bike and every other bike for years and haven't noticed any problems.

Back in my day using a kill switch was the only way to turn off my dirt bike. No keys, kickstart only.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
By all means, know where it is but avoid using it unless you need it. The PCM on this bike hates being shut down improperly. If it senses there's a problem, it will shut YOU down. Virtually all the issues our members have had with the DCT have been do to improper shut down. What ever you do, make absolutely sure you put it in neutral before turning the bike off. Never use the kickstand to turn the bike off.
Don't understand why a lot of folks here don't understand what jfc has gone over a thousand times?
LOL!

Yes, familiarize yourself with the Kill Switch, OK we get it! However, shift into neutral, TURN THE IGNITION OFF with the key, and then lower the side stand. Not too difficult a sequence to master?

That is the practice to condition ourselves to do if we want to avoid problems with the PCM.

There jfc, I said it "CTX SHUTDOWN FOR DUMMIES" HA!
jfc77320 likes this.

"The Devil Made Me Do It"
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujawskir View Post
The MSF safety course teaches to ALWAYS use the kill switch.

Anyway, the icon on my "kill" switch looks more like ignition on or off positions, and I've been using it several times almost every day. I'm not worried.
It's a funny thing that my MSF safety course teaches to NEVER use the kill switch not counting emergencies.
JFC is correct with what he says.

Glenn
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grburkart View Post
It's a funny thing that my MSF safety course teaches to NEVER use the kill switch not counting emergencies.
JFC is correct with what he says.

Glenn
Same thing the MSF instructors at my class said. Only use in emergencies.

"The Devil Made Me Do It"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.