Another new (old) guy here - Honda CTX700 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Another new (old) guy here

Found your group & signed on to learn about my (maybe) next bike. Had my eye on the CTX 700 for awhile now. Not a classic cruiser guy but my '05 Suzuki Blvd. M50 has been a dependable & enjoyable ride for 24,000 (s)miles, (one owner, rider & technician: me) I've owned bikes from each of the Japanese Big Four, 5 Hondas, 2 Suzukis, 2 Yamahas, 1 Kawasaki over 40+ years. (all street bikes)
Sadly, since I can only keep one at a time, my Suzi may go to a new home. I do get attached to them all partly because of the TLC I put into them and mostly for the memories they have helped to create.
If (when?) I make a deal on the CTX, I'll be on here right away. Riding & wrenching are my passion and I hope to continue that at least through this lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Four View Post
Found your group & signed on to learn about my (maybe) next bike. Had my eye on the CTX 700 for awhile now. Not a classic cruiser guy but my '05 Suzuki Blvd. M50 has been a dependable & enjoyable ride for 24,000 (s)miles, (one owner, rider & technician: me) I've owned bikes from each of the Japanese Big Four, 5 Hondas, 2 Suzukis, 2 Yamahas, 1 Kawasaki over 40+ years. (all street bikes)
Sadly, since I can only keep one at a time, my Suzi may go to a new home. I do get attached to them all partly because of the TLC I put into them and mostly for the memories they have helped to create.
If (when?) I make a deal on the CTX, I'll be on here right away. Riding & wrenching are my passion and I hope to continue that at least through this lifetime.
Welcome 350Four. I think you will thoroughly enjoy the CTX and come to love it as much as your other bikes. Probably ore since it has so much more to offer. Be sure to check out the DCT. Amazing piece of technology. It makes riding a joy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM

Garage
Welcome !!! you will find a lot of specific tech info on this forum!!

Current bike:
2015 CTX700

Previous rides:
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636...
1994 Honda CBR600 F2
1991 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1989 Honda CG125

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Hammond
You won't regret having a CTX! There are too many ways to list all of the good attributes of the CTX variants, but hang around here and they will be revealed!

Jimmy H.
AKA Spirit IV in the Gallery
Troup1998 likes this.

Spirit IV
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, 350four!

I owned a 2003 Volusia (bought new in the same year) and rode that for 5 years. Loved my Volusia! But I tell you, take a CTX for a test ride and I'll bet you'll be immediately sold. Many of the members here have traded in their bigger-engine bikes for the CTX and will never look back.

Some of the things I was concerned about were:

1. Chain driven. Since the majority of my bikes were always shaft driven it was hard to go back to a chain drive. But, although the chain maintenance is necessary, it's not all that difficult. And, for me, it allows me to consistently check the tires.

2. DCT. I wasn't totally sold on the DCT so I took a manual model. My next bike very may well be a DCT but the CTX700 manual is a breeze. And so far, there hasn't really been any major DCT issues. The system is nails!

3. Not enough engine. I've taken my CTX on highways at 90+ and it rides pretty smooth for a lightweight bike. Honda has geared this engine where is doesn't feel like it's winding-out above 70mph like the M50/Volusia did.

Once I test rode a DCT I was sold. And I plan to keep this bike for many years!
BobWitte, Bleys and CTX700@63 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Garage
Welcome to the board! Keeep 2 down and ride safe

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Welcome! With the CTX you can plan on doing a lot more riding than wrenching (unless you want to).

2 Days Older Than Dirt

2017 CTX700 DCT/ABS
jfc Brackets
Viking Lamellar Bags
Bestem 929
Kury floorboards
Cee Bailey 21" w/vent
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Novotny View Post
Welcome! With the CTX you can plan on doing a lot more riding than wrenching (unless you want to).
I'll add my welcome to the chorus and clarify that when we speak of "wrenching" around here, it generally involves installation of some new accessory!

Click on this URL for information on my heel/toe foot shifter thread: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx...tml#post711858
Click on this URL to look over my CTX trike build thread: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx...mizations.html

Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers: http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Garage
WELCOME!
Don't even think about it. Ha!
The CTX is a great bike for the money.
It really offers a lot for the price and the performance given.

"The Devil Made Me Do It"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Just logged back in today, Thank You all for your welcome greetings & thoughts.
My Suzi M50 is a nice ride but has it's limitations, higher mileage days & highway speeds @ 70+ can wear me out. Most of my riding is on back roads & in mountains, but I hope to do more traveling & see more of our great land & Canada too. (Bucket List)
Loved my past Hondas, & generally prefer function over form a bit. In fact, I bought a 1978 CX500 when they first came out. NOT stylish, especially in it's day, LOL! In spite of the spindly looking suspension, it handled really well. And it was liquid cooled w/ shaft drive & tubeless tires, ahead of it's time for a "mid-size".
I've got a close eye on a '15, slightly used, DCT, maybe finding it's new home very soon. Will keep you posted & thanks again.
Jimmy Hammond and Devilsfan like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.