CTX 700 Forum banner

PICS of NEW CTX1300!?

11K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  ralphthewrecker 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I saw these last week and it has the CTX styling but there are many aspects of it that CTX riders will not accept. Weight being the number 1, price being the number 2.

I think Honda is upgrading the style hoping to move this class of bike maybe downward on some in their costs and offer some new technology. The ST1300 was a high quality bike so Honda cant cut too many corners or buyers will look for good used older ones that can easily 100k miles with little problems.

#3 ·
Love the styling (how could I not)!? But that monstrosity, octopus-looking, crammed pack-looking engine below and forward of the seat is just too traditional biker looking for me, and it makes it look like a totally different kind of bike. Compared to the 670 cc, it's screams out with chrome and exhaust components all over the place. It should be very popular.

Honda Auto manufacturers a 2.4-liter, iVtec for the Acord, CR-V, and other vehicles; 160 plus hp. In keeping with the strategy employed with respect to the 670 power plant, I would liked to have seen a 1200 cc reworked from that engine in a parallel twin design; with the same type of utilitarian look and performance as seen with the 670 drawn from the auto world. Such an engine would give it less peak engine performance numbers, but a more friendly, subdued, usable, refined, economical ride, which is a direction I'd like to see Honda continue to go with MC models.

But Honda ain't about designing engines to make me smile. I think it will hit home with more prospective buyers than the strategy used with the 670. It almost exactly doubles the peak performance of the 670 in a similar looking package (as long as one doesn't look below the seat), and I'd guess that it will have an enticing price in that range.

#5 ·
Mine looks much better. I will do some pics later.
Two things, weight and wheelbase length. This would be the bike if you did a LoT of two-up riding and can handle the (slow speed) weight.

My Kymco and the CTX700 have 60" wheelbases, that as long as I want to go (would prefer 58").

Remember, JMO.

#6 ·
My wife wants me to get one, so she can have my 700 CTX-NDT. Personally, I think the 1300 looks great. With DCT, its a winner in so many ways. Bikes are highly subjective purchasing decisions. No logic most of the time. Just plain: I WANT THAT BIKE.

So don't go window shopping unless you want to come home with a puppy.

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

#12 ·
I have nothing against chromed-out bikes, but our CTX gives an appearance that is something different. That is that it is black w/o being bada** black, which makes it different than other blacked out bikes and chromed out bikes, But like you say the CTX700 is only almost black. I too would like to find a way to make the tail pipe black w/o spending big bucks or ruining the pipe, so that it would be chrome free. I don't like the fact that there will soon be a similarly-styled CTX that goes the other direction with a huge, chrome engine and components. There are tons of those bikes around. Sure wish they had it kept it tame looking like ours with just some more displacement and power for two-up touring folks.

#17 ·
Well, you can see it for yourself on Honda's website: 2014 CTX1300 Overview - Honda Powersports

I just wish they had a DCT version. But since I'm a new rider, I'll just stick with my 700 for a couple of years anyway. Nice looking though; probably too much power for me right now as well. :)

#19 ·
only thing i care about is how many of the parts on this bike we'll be able to steal (like the self canceling turn signals, led lighting, etc)

#20 ·
I think it looks like a fat DN01.

I would be more impressed if Honda focused on versatility of existing products, instead of reinventing the wheel. I would rather see the DCT transmission as an option on all existing bikes then I would and expansion of the CTX line. This would be most impressive, for example: a Goldwing any version that has DCT as an option. That would set theIr bikes apart from everyone else.

let the CTX 700 series be a springboard to add DCT to everything as an upgrade.

Reactions: Pathfinder
#21 ·
It is attractive but a little unbalanced. The front tire should have been bigger and the engine is too large. I would have preferred something around 800 to 850 ccs. I think the 670 is a little underpowered and should have a minimum of 60hps on the rear wheels. At least competitive with BMW's 650.

#22 ·
The latest Motorcyclist Magazine, Feb 2014 has a short article about the CTX1300.
They compare it to a "customized ST1300. The so called low saddle will be 29.1 inches. Weight of base model at 724 pounds, and a target price of $16,000.
Out the door price will be over 20k when some of the options are added. It will have shaft drive.
Those who are considering the 1300 as a logical progression from the 700 may find this not to be so. The height, weight and cost will be significant impacts.
With no DCT certainly not a beginner bike.

#31 ·
I like the looks of the CTX1300 and believe it will sell well in the USA, but it's not for me. It's overweight and too long for it's 1300cc displacement. Honda needs to make a third CTX available in the 800-1000cc range using the low center of gravity parallel twin design. Offer it with manual and ABS or DCT with ABS. The DCT and low CG , along with the great low and mid range torque and excellent throttle response in low speed maneuvers really sets these bikes apart from the rest of the herd. If all Honda dealers promoted these bikes by offering free demo rides they would have to double production to meet demand. Most folks I know (experienced riders) wouldn't even consider one of these bikes, but if they rode one it would change there perceptions of what it really is and what it can do!

Pathfinder

#34 ·
I like the looks of the CTX1300 and believe it will sell well in the USA, but it's not for me. It's overweight and too long for it's 1300cc displacement. Honda needs to make a third CTX available in the 800-1000cc range using the low center of gravity parallel twin design. Offer it with manual and ABS or DCT with ABS. The DCT and low CG , along with the great low and mid range torque and excellent throttle response in low speed maneuvers really sets these bikes apart from the rest of the herd. If all Honda dealers promoted these bikes...

Pathfinder
Agree completely... I was actually interested in the bigger CTX until I saw the weight and specs, and that all it had in common with the 700 was looks. All they did was re-tune their usual 1300 engine and slap a new bod on it. As far as dealers promoting the 700... the ones I visited didn't even try to sell me one, let alone give a test ride. I had to sell the salesmen that it was the right bike for me... and then they complain that it's not selling well. :)

#32 ·
I know I've sold two of them and I'm not a dealer. Both owners went down and bought the DCT Fairing model the next day after taking a ride on my bike. I don't normally let others ride my bike but I've known both for years and both are long term experienced riders with larger bikes. Honda world press release says DCT's make up almost 40% of CTX sales and 38% of NC700 sales. I'd say that sounds pretty promising.

#33 ·
I definitely pushed my wife toward the manual because I assumed the DCT would not fair well in the re-sale department if she decided it was not for her. Honda hit the right market for the CTX700. I see a lot of riders coming from a scooter with auto so it is a natural transition. The Yamaha FJR1300AE, Automatic accounts for a very small number of FJR's.

Knowing what I do now I would have gone for the DCT for her, ABS is just more icing. I would possibly opt for the extended warranty but the NC700 seems to be doing fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.