Top Box Super Thread - Honda CTX700 Forum
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Top Box Super Thread

Once I get my mounting like I want it, I'll follow up with pics.

The Bestem model #2012 Red hard top case almost perfectly matches the CTX and CTXN red bike. Is available @ Ebay, Amazon, and directly from Bestem among other choices. Amazon had the cheapest, overall price I could find with free shipping and no tax for me. This case gets good reviews and has been a popular choice for Burgman owners. Their price is currently $89.34 (free shipping). It is of decent quality and appearance. Not quite to the level of Givi or Shad, but very decent and great value for the price. It holds my full face helmet and plenty of room around it for small items. I was able to fit my helmet and mesh jacket around it in the case and lock it up. It does not have a carrying handle, but is easily removable using the same key for removing and opening (similar to the Givi system but not quite as smooth to operate).

It comes with a brake light/tail light; the wiring to hook up the light, a mounting plate to mount to a rack, with the hardware to mount the plate to a rack, with rubber edge around the bottom of the mounting plate.

I got a scratched one for $65, no tax or shipping and I paid $3 for finger nail polish to cover the scratches that didn't look all that bad any way. I've got it mounted to my seat but I'm working on a better looking way to mount it and a little tighter mount and a quick disconnect for an easier way to remove the mount when and if necessary. I removed the seat and ran a strap around the seat just behind where the case hooks in. This spot keeps the strap in place. Under the seat, I tightened the strap further by pulling it under the document hooks. The rear of the mount is currently secured with ropes tied to the grab handles, but I'm working on putting a strap or two more around the seat, so that it will not require cutting ropes to remove the seat.

Amazon.com: Bestem T-Box TBOX-2012-RED Red 20" X 10.5" X 16" Motorcycle/Scooter Top Box: Automotive Amazon.com: Bestem T-Box TBOX-2012-RED Red 20" X 10.5" X 16" Motorcycle/Scooter Top Box: Automotive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (3.4 KB, 2110 views)
RedBaronRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

There is at least one other member with a white Bestem 2012 mounted to his/her Honda OEM rack. The white one seems to match closely as well to the white CTX. They also make a black one, but I've not seen a picture of a CTX in black with the Bestem Black 2012 case.

Out of a matter of principle, I refuse to pay a lot for luggage. If you're looking for decent that is cheap, this a good way to go. The only issue is going cheap on a rack and supports. That's where I got stuck, but mounting to the seat gives me the advantage of a back rest when I decide sit back, and I haven't yet had the opportunity to talk anyone into going two up, so that's not an issue for me, but if my mounting system goes as I hope (maybe x large dog collars with quick disconnects), easy removal and reinstall will be part of my system.
post #3 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

As promised, here are some pics of my new case and mounting:

I used straps called lashing straps with small metal lashings and now the ropes are gone freeing up the grab bars completely and no exterior straps or bungies are now necessary. Lowe's had only blue. Black would look better, but it is super tight, and even though it's not the way bikers are supposed to mount cases, I like the fact that it doesn't lengthen my bike; it doesn't require that I mount supports or a rack, which I don't really won't except to mount a case; and it provides me a back rest when I want to sit back and use it.

Time will tell if this will be a durable solution, but it is pretty sturdy now and my total cost is $65 + $3 for finger nail polish + $6 for two 3/4" wide lashing straps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bestem Mount Straps Top View.jpg (128.5 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Mount Strapped Under View.jpg (151.6 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Top Box Left Side.jpg (148.3 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Mounted Right Side Closeup.jpg (113.2 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Mounted Rear View.jpg (131.1 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Mounted Rear View on Stand.jpg (127.6 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Mounted Front View.jpg (142.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg Bestem Case Closeup Front.jpg (109.6 KB, 441 views)
Thumper, Gizmo and 2ron2ctx700t like this.

post #4 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 PM

Well done
post #5 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
It comes with a brake light/tail light; the wiring to hook up the light,
Got a 2012 case. Looks nice and should fit on the Honda rack if I remove the Honda backrest. Just a few questions before I start working.

Is the Tbox light a brake and tail light or just a brake light? Also, could you explain how you accessed the bike's wiring and what wires you connected the Tbox brown and blue wires to?

2014 Honda CTX700
post #6 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Is the Tbox light a brake and tail light or just a brake light?
Found through Googling that it is a brake light but can be made to work as a brake and tail light by the use of a dual relay circuit. That circuit is not included with the T-box so the wiring provided only works as a brake light.

Also, the Blue wire from the Bestem is Ground and the Brown is Power. The brown would be connected to the dual relay circuit and the circuit would be connected to the brake and tail light wires.

Still trying to figure out the least troublesome way to get to the CTX brake/tail light wiring.
gregsfc likes this.

2014 Honda CTX700
post #7 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Nice looking case Greg!

"The Road Goes On Forever" REK

IBA #23562
post #8 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 AM

I applaud your cost savings Greg! Bravo! I celebrate maximizing value, and our CTX benefits greatly from your contribution- keep up the good work!
post #9 of 221 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Finally got the Bestem top case installed. I also made and installed a dual element circuit so the brake light also works as a taillight. Instructions on how do it are here:

Dual Circuit Element « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

The big surprise was that the easiest access to the wiring is not under the small rear cover over the taillight but instead inside the left side cover. I just cut and peeled back a bit of the sheath. I used Posi-Taps to splice into the wiring without cutting. I know soldering is best but these do work!

I already had the Honda backrest and carrier. All that had to come off to do the installation - what a pain! The Honda backrest won't fit with the case but the case has a backrest too and it's in a good position as mounted. My Honda backrest is for sale.

I've attached pictures of where I tapped into the wiring and the finished installation. The Bestem light is in the taillight mode. Couldn't take a pic of it in brakelight mode as I didn't have a helper.

Now I have a CTX700 dresser! I think it looks perfect on the bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (162.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (149.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (314.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (133.3 KB, 124 views)

2014 Honda CTX700
post #10 of 221 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice, if you have an opportunity would it be possible to post a few more pictures of the box on the bike from different angles? Lastly where did you order and what color is that? Thanks again, looks great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.