Ctx dct vs ? - Honda CTX700 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Ctx dct vs ?

There is NO competition to the DCT bikes. Period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:06 AM

Very true! Every time I look fondly, even longingly, at other bikes, the clutch and shifter steer me away. Strangely I didn't know I would like DCT, I bought this model to get ABS.

John

Previous Rides:
1964 Honda 50 Supersport (traded after 45 days)
1964 Honda 250 Dream Touring
1967 Honda Sport 65 (in Japan)
196x used Honda 305 Super Hawk (in Japan)
1973 Honda XL175 (POS)
1974 Yamaha RD250 (FAST)
198x Honda CX500
1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
1986 Honda Goldwing Interestate
1997 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
Currently riding - 2016 Honda CTX700DG
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The DCT gives you the best of both worlds. The strength and longevity of a mechanical transmission with the convenience and simplicity of auto/manual shift. Rider work load is greatly reduced allowing for greater enjoyment and safety.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 01:14 PM

There's CVT and eCVT but they don't come close.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Frankly, I predict that auto transmissions on bikes will soon be the norm. Just what happened to the auto industry.

I will do my part to promote that.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
Frankly, I predict that auto transmissions on bikes will soon be the norm. Just what happened to the auto industry.

I will do my part to promote that.
I can firmly disagree with this. As I LOVE my Auto and it allows me to ride again, there are only a few bikes out there today with auto, and have been. There are many hurdles to overcome with this. Harley on has one person in IL that makes an auto trans for their bikes and it only works on the sportster. As they state the bikes have too much power and torque for an auto trans.

Now what you are seeing more of is push button shifting bikes, with option to be fully manual. Ever since my last injury and surgery that kept me off bikes due to use of hand to foot action, IE: clutch to gear, I have been shopping around and testing. I even went the scooter route as living in San Diego, cages suck! I did love my Burgman 650, but am an avid bike rider.

That being said Honda has done an incredible job with this machine. I am hoping to see the larger bikes in the future with this auto, but less likely a "take over". We can all wish!
ctxdawg and kujawskir like this.

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Auto transmissions are definitely coming to motorcycling. Its just a matter of a few short years in fact. Motorcycle engines are inherent polluters when it comes to engine size vs. emissions. They also suck gasoline at a rate much faster per cc than a standard automotive engine. To reduce emissions and attain better mpg while still allowing for performance, greater gear sets of 8 and 10 speeds will be required. Too many for a human being to shift manually using a clutch. There's also the nanny state to deal with. An auto trans can regulate how a rider operates a motorcycle. With the push by governments to force self driving vehicles on the masses, an auto trans will be required if motorcycle are to survive in the new, brave world.
kujawskir likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
Rider work load is greatly reduced allowing for greater enjoyment and safety.
This times 1000 !!!!! When I was shopping for a new bike with fuel injection rather than carbs I looked at several bikes in the 600 - 900cc range as I didn't want an 800 pound leviathan. A coworker has a 700N and I took it for a spin and that started the bug. A test ride at the dealer on fun roads sealed the deal.

Having the DCT for me makes it one less thing to consider, so I can redirect that effort to looking for the idiots on the road trying to kill me.

my handle might be AngryBob - but when I'm riding, if you could see inside my helmet - I'm smiling.

2015 CTX700D Tsundere Heavy Motorcycle "Takao"
Corbin standard seat w/backrest, Bestem 929 case, CeeBailey Windscreen, Opti7 headlight, FIAMM horn, RAM phone mount, and more to come.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:47 AM

DCT is a god-send for new riders. I recently took an experienced rider's course on my CTX700 and, even though I am a relative novice, I outperformed the rest of my class in cornering, braking and overall handling. DCT simply makes me a better and safer rider.
jfc77320, Mdaniels4 and JW.Grayson like this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Location: NY state, in the Mid Hudson Valley, Town of East Fishkill
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
There is NO competition to the DCT bikes. Period.
I agree but there is room for improvement.
We need competition in the DCT bikes to make them better. Honda's CTX 700 DCT is a nice bike but I think it was more of a test for Honda on if it would be something the general public would buy. In coming up with the DCT idea they tried to keep the cost down and focus on the DCT part of the bike. What I am saying is if you take the CTX 700 and it did not have the DCT it is a OK bike but not the best in the field of other bikes in the same price range on handling, ride, power etc. In my opinion what makes the CTX 700 a great bike is the DCT.

With that said, I think Hondas' move to make only CTX700 DCT models proves that. And I hope Honda keeps making them for a long time, As Is, cheap, fun to ride, and for people like me who just can no longer ride a bike that requires switching gears with your left foot or having a clutch that requires you use your left hand.

I also hope that Honda and other brands start making better bikes with the DCT trans. What I would like to see:
A 1000cc parallel twin engine.
Front and rear suspension that is also fully adjustable, with more travel and able to handle more weight, and pot holes better.
Front and rear ABS brakes with two front rotors, linked front and rear that could be turned off, or un-linked. On the ABS linked mod, you would not have to use the right foot brake has it would be applied by using just the right hand lever.
A low seat height with backrest.
Better windshield that is wider and higher.
More room in the fake speaker area for real size speakers.
Take away the small storage area and area above the gas full-up and make the gas tank bigger.
On the DCT trans, standard manual mode, two automatic modes. D for the best balance of fuel economy and cruising comfort, S mode for performance. I would also want a mode that you could customize to match your riding style and shift patterns you choose.
If the 6 speed DCT had 8 speeds that would also be nice.
And I would like it for a price of under $15K, with two year Unlimited-mileage warranty. and under 600 pounds.

If you look at the Honda 2017 Africa Twin CRF1000L DCT that has most of my list, we just need to have it in the CTX frame (may have to have a bigger frame) with forward floorboards, and maybe the fairing more like the Goldwing for the windshield......maybe a CTX base with Goldwing front and Africa Twin DCT.

Just dreaming.....but Honda seems to be on its way or hopefully having the same dream.
JH700CTX and kujawskir like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.