CTX 700 Forum banner

The competition is cars....

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mreric 
#1 ·
Recently I was at the dealership and chatting with a sales guy and we were talking about the new models coming out, and he believes there's going to be a drastic shift away from large bikes and that 300-500cc bikes will be way more common in the next few years. Due in part to the "better" gas mileage that they get. The conversation then kind of shifted to what each of us thought it would take to get todays youth into motorcycles given the way they're viewed by those that don't ride currently (dangerous, difficult to ride etc).

Here's my thoughts...and I'd like to hear yours.

Todays generation is digital. Everything is smart. We need to be connected. We're lost without being able to look up maps, or weather etc. I believe until there's a bike with built in gps/bluetooth, and it comes with the helmet with speakers that are usable at highway speeds so you can hear the directions and bluetooth to the bike already, then it'll be harder to get the youths into it.

Basically, Ironman helmet....

Self cancelling blinkers and a gyroscope so they can't tip it over wouldn't hurt either :)

What do you think it'd take...

See less See more
#2 ·
My 24 year old son and 20 year old daughter ride. They have the same gear as my husband and I do- nothing high tech, just armored textiles. We all have Sena helmet-to-helmet communicators. My son uses his for music. My daughter uses hers to keep in touch with us because she is a newer rider and not comfortable riding with music in the background.

My children have wanted to ride since they were passengers. I really don't know where the technology comes in and how it will encourage younger riders.

#6 ·
At first I noticed it with our son-in-law. He didnt want to get a car. :confused: I mean, what kind of red blooded American male doesn't want a car, right?? But I've noticed that a lot of the younger generations are just not interested in owning vehicles anymore. My nieces and nephews, their friends and even my daughter and son-in-law have tailored their lives to not need a vehicle. They live, work and play within walking distance. And use public transit when necessary. Should be interesting to see how this new trend affects our whole automotive/mobile based economy in the near future.:confused:

#7 ·
I have a 16yr old son. Insurance on him is as much as a car payment. Most kids drive in our area but I see parents who don't really want their kids getting a license. We don't have mass transit here so I'm sure that makes a difference. There aren't many kids around driving motorcycles and my kid will probably wait until he's 18 to get his. It's just too expensive. They have to take the safety course to get a permit, then I would want him to take it again to get his license and then insurance ((shudder)).

#8 ·
I think the kids will want the smaller bikes as well. I just don't see the big cruisers being popular with the kids. They may try the smaller crotch rockets but I think Tim is on to something about smaller bikes but with advanced electronics. I am 55 so I grew up with very cheap gas but the kids now haven't. They got into driving age with high prices and everyone talking about how expensive gas is nowadays.

I wonder if they will ever come up with a helmet that shows your speed and a small gps unit that will be in the visor. Then you could look straight ahead and just glace to the side to see your speed or route. These DCT's may also get more kids involved as well. I know scooters are very popular with kids in school since they are automatic and have storage for books. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: alloo
#11 ·
I've been signed up for their beta for like 2 mos and following them on Facebook. I haven't heard pricing yet but wouldn't be surprised if it were $1500.

#13 ·
The ctx is a nice platform for those additions too, the trend toward smaller engines is great for me, I like them - to a point. My 500 is about as low powered as I want to go. Sure would like to see hydraulic lifters come back for motos so no more valve adjustments.

FYI, motos used to have lifters, but they took them out to get more power and higher revving engines, the ctx engine is lower revving and has the displacement to get decent power even with lifters, so yeah, we are all waiting for the first brave moto manufacturer to put them back in. :)

I am also hoping the gas mileage craze moves more towards aero fairings as well as smaller engines. Anybody know if the faired ctx gets higher mpg than the naked? Guess we are waiting to hear on the NM4 too.

On my 500 putting on a tall windscreen netted me a few mpg on the highway, as did removing the side bags in favor of a top case.

#14 ·
most drivers do not even have tool to do a simple oil change on their cars. let alone a motorcycle valve adjustment.

if people drove motorcycle like cars, it would be in the shop very often.

Car manufacturer has given what people want. no valve adjustment, oil change are cheap and long now. cars barely require any maint these days.

but motorcycle maint has not change much, safety also not change much, we barely got ABS.

a cheap car only cost about 13-14k new, and it has all the safety feature and basic luxury people need. longer warranty and better resale value and would out last any motorcycle too.

#16 · (Edited)
until they have kids and they have to sell to buy a car to carry baby seat.

today economy and competition is not like 70s and 80s. owning a car and motorcycle is a luxury. kids these day cannot afford it. student loans, big down payment for home and no Social security for their future leave no money for these type of toys.

motorcycle needs to become more like car, where they have storage and safety feature. with the NC700 they are almost there, with the CTX they got the shorter riders and comfortable ride, can they combine it to make one? by having adjustable peg position, adjustable seat height. adjustable handle bars, adjustable windscreen, lots of storage solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.