Oh CTX, where have you been all my life! - Honda CTX700 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh CTX, where have you been all my life!

I finally had a chance to take my new used 2014 CTX700 for a good long ride today. Very nice. Wanted to keep going.

I've had many bike over the years but this one is the nicest.

My bike just before this was a 92 Shadow VLX 600.

The VLX has 4 gears. Somewhere around 37 MPH it doesn't feel comfortable in either 3rd or 4th. The CTX has such a wide power band that one can stay in one gear from 25 to 55 MPH.

I was calmly doing 65 and realized I still had another gear.

The engine is so smooth. And I know that some complain about the power but coming from the 32 hp VLX it feels pretty darn fast. Fine for me. And quiet. I like quiet.

And the handling is sooo much better. The shocks feel great and the turning is great. The VLX sort of wallows through turns whereas the CTX gave me so much confidance in turns. It feels nimble and sure-footed. The low COG makes it feel like it's on rails.

I was astounded by how tight and easily I could do a U turn.

Doing those quick little pot hole avoidance turns was a piece of cake. Much quicker than the VLX and the push right to turn right thing was so much more obvious. On the VLX it felt like you had to plan it. On the CTX it was like unconscious.

And the brakes! Wow, so that's what a front brake feels like! I was trying some quick stops and the first time I grabbed the front I was astounded how quickly I came to a stop. As far as the rear, it feels perfect to me. I know some have said that it feels weak but when I give a firm push as if in a panic stop the rear skids. I wouldn't want it any more sensitive.

I love the fuel gauge, the little trunk on the tank, oh, and the seat, it felt fine to me. No problem at all. Felt good after three hours of riding.

In short I am really happy with this purchase. Seems about perfect for what I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 AM

Garage
Great post and glad you got to unleash the beast!

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabngo View Post
I finally had a chance to take my new used 2014 CTX700 for a good long ride today. Very nice. Wanted to keep going. I've had many bike over the years but this one is the nicest. My bike just before this was a 92 Shadow VLX 600. The VLX has 4 gears. Somewhere around 37 MPH it doesn't feel comfortable in either 3rd or 4th. The CTX has such a wide power band that one can stay in one gear from 25 to 55 MPH. I was calmly doing 65 and realized I still had another gear. The engine is so smooth. And I know that some complain about the power but coming from the 32 hp VLX it feels pretty darn fast. Fine for me. And quiet. I like quiet. And the handling is sooo much better. The shocks feel great and the turning is great. The VLX sort of wallows through turns whereas the CTX gave me so much confidance in turns. It feels nimble and sure-footed. The low COG makes it feel like it's on rails. I was astounded by how tight and easily I could do a U turn. Doing those quick little pot hole avoidance turns was a piece of cake. Much quicker than the VLX and the push right to turn right thing was so much more obvious. On the VLX it felt like you had to plan it. On the CTX it was like unconscious. And the brakes! Wow, so that's what a front brake feels like! I was trying some quick stops and the first time I grabbed the front I was astounded how quickly I came to a stop. As far as the rear, it feels perfect to me. I know some have said that it feels weak but when I give a firm push as if in a panic stop the rear skids. I wouldn't want it any more sensitive. I love the fuel gauge, the little trunk on the tank, oh, and the seat, it felt fine to me. No problem at all. Felt good after three hours of riding. In short I am really happy with this purchase. Seems about perfect for what I want.
I agree with everything you said except staying in one gear from 25 to 55. Can't say I've ever come anywhere close to that!

- Sean
2014 CTX700-N | Viking saddlebags with JFC brackets | Rapid Transit 'Platoon' tailbag | Brakelight modulator
WeBike centerstand | Madstad 22 windshield
/ Honda rear carrier | Kuryakin floorboards
Barkbuster handguards | GoCruise accelerator lock | Cinnamon Altoids
Scorpion T1200 and HJC SyMax III helmets | Sena Prism Tube camera

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Hammond
Hi Grabngo,

I bought my 2014 CTXN in 2015 after I had looked at junk for about 6 months. It was a bike to learn on and one to keep! Now the upgrades. I have said a few times there aren't many but you'll quickly see the ones that most folks like! I did a video of my changes on YouTube and many are pictured on my Gallery page!

Jimmy H.

AKA Spirit IV in the Gallery
Wanderer, BobWitte and Troup1998 like this.

Spirit IV
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Jimmy, the video showing your mods is very good.

I just bought my used 2014 CTX700D three days ago and one of the things that convinced me to buy it was it had almost every mod I would consider to make it complete. It had the following when I bought it which makes it very similar to yours:

Cee Bailey vented windshield
Honda Saddlebags
Honda Saddlebag guards
Honda 12v convenience outlet
Honda heated grips
unknown brand of hand protectors (like bark busters)
Kuryaken driver floorboards
Luggage rack with Givi Monolok base

I added the old Givi top box I had on two previous bikes. And just ordered the Airhawk R seat pad and Ram ball mount for handlebars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTX700D on day I bought it (small).jpg (329.8 KB, 18 views)
Jimmy Hammond and BobWitte like this.

Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY

2014 CTX700D
-----------------
Bought used w/ 14k miles(6/9/17) still runs/rides great
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM

Garage
Sweet ride. I didn't realize Honda had rear saddlebag protectors. All it takes is a parking lot tip over without the protectors and you're looking at a significant repair cost. Enjoy!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Garage
Nice video. Great way to chronicle the efforts. Looks like you enjoyed the process of adding accessories. My wife and I are in the process of upgrading our CTX's too.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOnAHonda View Post
I agree with everything you said except staying in one gear from 25 to 55. Can't say I've ever come anywhere close to that!
I don't do that either I was just saying that the power band is so large is that one could if they wanted to. The engine will pull from 2500 rpm to 5500 with no problem and feel smooth throughout.

On a related I found the RPM max cutoff today. I was winding out in first on a speed run and suddenly the engine cut off for a half a second. The redline on the engine of 6500 is lower than I'm used to. Some of my older bikes it was 9000.
SeanOnAHonda likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabngo View Post
I don't do that either I was just saying that the power band is so large is that one could if they wanted to. The engine will pull from 2500 rpm to 5500 with no problem and feel smooth throughout.

On a related I found the RPM max cutoff today. I was winding out in first on a speed run and suddenly the engine cut off for a half a second. The redline on the engine of 6500 is lower than I'm used to. Some of my older bikes it was 9000.
You have it backwards. 25-55 has nothing to do with powerband, it is related to the gear ratio. Your VLX has 4 gears where the CTX has 6. The CTX goes through the gears much faster and shorter because it has a lower gear ratio per gear. The VLX has longer, taller gears which would keep you in each gear longer. So, say 25-65 would make more sense for the VLX if the CTX was 25-55. This is the same reason at 37 it doesn't like 3rd or 4th, but rather 2nd.

6K rpm is relatively low for motorcycles in general, however it is correct for the displacement, engine design and firing order. Off hand I would say 9-10K rpm would be a general average towards all bikes. Some are 14K+
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Thom, is that lights on the hand guards? Seems like a good place for some strip driving lights. But maybe at night they would reflect in the windshield? Extra lights are on my list.

I've put on the OEM hard bags, 24" CB windscreen - I have a laminar lip coming also since I need about three inches more calm air and I installed a power center up near the speedo area for battery tending and USB charging.

I'm unsure about the floorboard mod. The pegs feel fine to me and my boots hang on them well. But maybe I would like them.

John

bike.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.