The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies - Honda CTX700 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Editorial Content

The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies

Quote:
Here at Motorcycle.com we get to ride all of the newest, latest, and greatest motorcycles on the planet. However, more often than not, our time with each bike spans the course of weeks, maybe months (but definitely not years), as new bikes are constantly flowing through our proverbial garages, waiting to get tested. This means we have reviews of almost every motorcycle on the market, but it also means that we lack firsthand experience learning about long-term durability and maintenance. So, when our readers ask about the reliability of a certain make or model, it’s a difficult question to answer, as reliability testing requires ownership for several years – something we simply aren’t in a position to provide.

Thankfully, the folks at Consumer Reports have compiled a motorcycle reliability study, gathering information from more than 11,000 riders, sharing their experiences on more than 12,000 motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014. With this data, CR adjusted for mileage ridden over a 12-month span and estimated failure rates. Like golf, the lower the number (or percentage, in this case), the better the score. CR’s language in the link above is vague, using words like “trouble prone” and not defining what constitutes a failure. Nonetheless, the results are still relevant. Here they are, from worst to best.
Read more about The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Garage
Question

YAMAHA takes the top spot??? Blasphemy!
skippy1969 likes this.

- Sean
2014 CTX700-N | Viking saddlebags with JFC brackets | Rapid Transit 'Platoon' tailbag | Brakelight modulator
WeBike centerstand | Madstad 22 windshield
/ Honda rear carrier | Kuryakin floorboards
Barkbuster handguards | GoCruise accelerator lock | Cinnamon Altoids
Scorpion T1200 and HJC SyMax III helmets | Sena Prism Tube camera

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 AM

Garage
Top spots are the Japanese Big 4. Shocking!... Not.

------
Previous Motorbikes:
- 1986 CB700SC Honda Nighthawk S
- 1990 Yamaha YX600

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I hate it when they try to fill space with old information. Especially when its not all that accurate. In the original Consumer Reports article, only six of the major brands were evaluated. We discussed the article ad nauseum here on the forum. Yamaha and Honda more or less tied for first with the win going to Yamaha with only a 0.2 percentage point difference. Yamaha scored 11.4, Honda scored 11.6, and Suzuki scored 12.4. Consumer Reports admitted the difference between the two front runners was insignificant. Of course the other manufacturers squacked loudly complaining they were treated unfairly by Consumer Reports. Of course PC ruled the day and a second watered down article was published this time including the four other smaller brands. Instead of publishing the more specific percentages, CR rounded the numbers making it appear Yamaha was the clear winner and Honda and Suzuki had tied. It also helped HD appear better in the rankings since it dropped them a percentage point with the usual "but its a Harley" excuse.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM

To the manufacturer, there are 2 criteria for reliability.
1. Do they continue to sell?
2. How much does warranty repairs cost us?

2 Days Older Than Dirt

2017 CTX700 DCT/ABS
jfc Brackets
Viking Lamellar Bags
Bestem 929
Kury floorboards
Cee Bailey 21" w/vent
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM

The Yamaha Experience

My Yamaha (Majesty YP250) spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. The transmission failed twice. I eventually replaced everything from variator to final drive gears with aftermarket stuff, then the engine blew a week after the warranty expired. I put it in for a service before going on a big trip only to be told the bike would need the rear swing arm replaced. It would be under warranty but it would take a month to get the part from Japan etc. I did my big trip on a borrowed scooter. Call me a cynic but I'm pretty sure they knew the big end bearing was about to go and they wanted to keep it off the road until the warranty expired.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Another bogus list to save face! 10 really? Give the credit where it is do! Why not just have all manufactures listed in order?

When I saw Can-Am listed, I was amazed of the inaccuracy here. With their electrical issues and them catching fire, they are only short of literally blowing up as the worst possible reliability there is!
JH700CTX likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Honda's numbers in the study were brought down due to the starter relay recall helping to give Yamaha the edge. The survey and study was conducted several months after the announcement of the recall. In actuality, it turned out to be a much smaller recall than the media made it out to be because it effected virtually ever model in Honda's lineup but only effected a small number from each. CR acknowledged this in the footnotes of the first publication and acknowledged recalls on Honda motorcycles are extremely rare. The information on recalls was left out of the 2nd publication.

Last edited by jfc77320; 04-23-2017 at 02:10 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

I really have to question the Harley rating. Everyone I know that owns a Harley has repairs every year. I think there's a bit of machismo that's boosting the rating
jfc77320 and JH700CTX like this.

Harry
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vederci View Post
I really have to question the Harley rating. Everyone I know that owns a Harley has repairs every year. I think there's a bit of machismo that's boosting the rating
This is especially true when buying a new one. I don't know anyone who hasn't had to take there new HD back to the dealer 3 or 4 times to get the bugs worked out. Then you have to deal with failures and a few minor glitches depending on the model. Recalls have also been a serious problem lately as well.
JH700CTX likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.