DCT Sounds - Honda CTX700 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

DCT Sounds

Just got my 2015 DCT yesterday and so far love the bike. Noticed however that the gear changes are rather "clangy".The dealer told me some of the noise would go away as the bike wears in. Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 PM

howdy and welcome to the forum

the first miles you drive the dct, you tend to let up on the fuel when you sense it should shift. i think that is the most likely contributor to the unusual sound. other than that, a loose drive chain is the next most likely. try putting it in manual change mode and shifting up without letting up on the fuel and see if you can isolate what is causing the most noise.

ken

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the chain is adjusted properly. Too tight or too loose will cause the DCT to shift harder and louder. Proper aligement will also have some effect. It will shift easier as time goes by. You should also notice a difference after the 600 mile oil change.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
Make sure the chain is adjusted properly. Too tight or too loose will cause the DCT to shift harder and louder. Proper aligement will also have some effect. It will shift easier as time goes by. You should also notice a difference after the 600 mile oil change.
This! 2600 miles on my bike, and like jfc said, there was a big difference after the 600 mile oil change. These days the only only times I notice any real clunk while shifting is under hard deceleration.

2015 CTX700D Tsundere Heavy Motorcycle "Takao"
Corbin standard seat w/backrest, Bestem 929 case, CeeBailey Windscreen, Opti7 headlight, FIAMM horn, RAM phone mount, and more to come.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Garage
I'm homing in on 2000 miles. I didn't really notice it until I read this, but the shifts do seem quieter and smoother from when I first got the bike.

- 2015 Honda CTX700DA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM

The only time I get any noise is when I 1st put it in gear after I have rolled it from the garage, the normal clunk after that shifts very quiet. I have over 15000 miles on the bike and have not had any problems with the bike, this is one of the best bikes that I have owned and seems to be getting better with more miles on it (2015 ctx dct )
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 PM

I have 400 miles on my 2015, and in the lower gears I can hear the "clang or clunk" of it upshifting/downshifting (and it's a very smooth shift whether going up or down) - sort of reminds me of the louder clutch mechanisms on some bikes. I like the sound - you're always aware that you're not riding a CVT or an automobile style tranny.
-jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.