I need help with my Denali D2 driving lights - Honda CTX700 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I need help with my Denali D2 driving lights

I'm stuck! I'm installing my driving lights and I can't get them to work. I followed the instructions to a tee and I have power all over the place but the lights won't come on.
I'm wired to a switched power source and the connection box is wired to the battery and....... nothing. I'm frustrated beyond words. Could it be a battery issue? Everything else on the bike works fine including the just installed Scottoiler and GPS.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grburkart View Post
I'm stuck! I'm installing my driving lights and I can't get them to work. I followed the instructions to a tee and I have power all over the place but the lights won't come on.
I'm wired to a switched power source and the connection box is wired to the battery and....... nothing. I'm frustrated beyond words. Could it be a battery issue? Everything else on the bike works fine including the just installed Scottoiler and GPS.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Glenn
Little trick prior to light install. Grab two wires, power and negative, connect to car battery and power up prior to install to make sure it work. Past that always check any inline fuses, you're hooked up properly with line, load, negstive bike is on when testing? Trace all wires.

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunN16 View Post
Little trick prior to light install. Grab two wires, power and negative, connect to car battery and power up prior to install to make sure it work. Past that always check any inline fuses, you're hooked up properly with line, load, negstive bike is on when testing? Trace all wires.
Yes the bike is on. I have it wired in to switched power and there is power on the wire when the key is turned.
Testing the light is a challenge? because it has to go through a power block of some sort. Maybe it's a ballast, I don't know. And everything is connected with plugs. There are no open wires.

Glenn

2014 Honda CTX700T
OEM panniers
Center Stand (NC700S)
Crazy Iron crash bars
Givi E55 (55 litre) Maxia 3 top box with rack
AdMore lighting Kit
Givi 33 litre top case bag
Givi 15 litre bag
Cee Bailey pannier inserts
Saddleman BR3400 sissy bar bag
Kuryakyn 8" floorboards driver
Kuryakyn 4" mini floorboards passenger
BrakeAway cruise control (best mod)
Grab On grips
Cee Bailey windshield with vent
Seth Laam seat
Denali D2 driving lights
Scott Oiler eSystem

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM

How are they grounded and where do you have them mounted? If you don't have a specific ground wire and have them out on the forks or mounted on anything that is not part of the vehicle chassis, that could be your problem. Also, double check the light switch to make sure you are using the correct lugs on the switch.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM

For as often as a hook up accessories to my bike it seems to be trial and error on wiring everytime. Just a thought; I just made this error;
is your switch properly wired? Power line in and power line out right? No ground should be on the switch.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
For as often as a hook up accessories to my bike it seems to be trial and error on wiring everytime. Just a thought; I just made this error;
is your switch properly wired? Power line in and power line out right? No ground should be on the switch.
Maybe you're onto something. I have a power finder on the wire and when the ignition switch is off then I get a ground light. When the switch is turned on I get a power light.
I'll try a different power source.

Glenn
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM

I have found that wire color has not bearing on positive/negative on "made in china" stuff. They just simply use what is at hand.
Pierre

Not enough toys is bad, too much government is worst.

2017 CTX700T Canadian version manual shift with ABS in Red
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Is the "block" actually a relay switch? Two wires or 4/5?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxgac View Post
Is the "block" actually a relay switch? Two wires or 4/5?
Not quite sure what this does. It's got 4 wires/cables coming off it. Two go to the lights, one goes back to the switch for power and the other one goes to the battery.
For some reason there's two power sources.
I'm really an amateur at this. I know what I'm doing via the instructions but that's it.

Glenn

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/att...1&d=1497749982
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (203.0 KB, 9 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grburkart View Post
Not quite sure what this does. It's got 4 wires/cables coming off it. Two go to the lights, one goes back to the switch for power and the other one goes to the battery.
For some reason there's two power sources.
I'm really an amateur at this. I know what I'm doing via the instructions but that's it.

Glenn

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/att...1&d=1497749982
You sorta asked what I was going to ask you. Switch is power, two wires power to lights? Is battery hot or ground? Second question is if you do have power on the wires for the lights Then If so. Maybe lights arent grounded?

If its a relay, then #1 wire switch, #2 wire ground for switch, #3 wire power(batt), #4 wire power to lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.