4-way Intersections - Honda CTX700 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4-way Intersections

Just got back home from driving my Chevy.

While at a four-way intersection I got the green to go, heading west-bound. I hesitated as always. As I started to make my way through the light...out of the corner of my eye to the right of me I see a mass of something. I slammed the brakes as a pickup towing a trailer comes through the intersection from my right, going south-bound!!!

The car behind me slid to my right and the truck swerved to his right after going through the intersection on a red light. We locked eyes and I held up my hands yelling profanities. He knew he wasn't paying attention and pulled over. But thank God that I've learned to never gun it at a light from riding motorcycles!!!

And no damage to anyone's vehicle. Whew!

Don't know if he would have missed my had I been on the scoot. Something to always remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
Wow -- yeah, that was close. Glad it came out well. He actually pulled over after that? I don't imagine you two had any follow-up "discussion?"

- Sean
2014 CTX700-N | Viking saddlebags with JFC brackets | Rapid Transit 'Platoon' tailbag | Brakelight modulator
WeBike centerstand | Madstad 22 windshield
/ Honda rear carrier | Kuryakin floorboards
Barkbuster handguards | GoCruise accelerator lock | Cinnamon Altoids
Scorpion T1200 and HJC SyMax III helmets | Sena Prism Tube camera

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOnAHonda View Post
Wow -- yeah, that was close. Glad it came out well. He actually pulled over after that? I don't imagine you two had any follow-up "discussion?"
After he pulled over I think everyone at the intersection was aware how close there was to an accident from that truck driver not paying attention. Since there was no damage or contact to any vehicle (albeit it had to have been withing inches of him taking at least my bumper off!) I decided to just leave. If I stayed I don't think I would have said anything in kind, so to avoid any escalation I just drove away.

He knew he eff'd up. Hopefully he'll remember next time. I will say that I didn't notice him on the phone. Not to say he wasn't texting but he realized what he was doing as he was doing it. So I assume he was just lost in thought.
SeanOnAHonda likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 PM

That was the right thing to do, devils. Just decal ate it. Everyone messes up. It's done, no harm done.
Devilsfan and SeanOnAHonda like this.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 PM

I wait about 5 seconds before pulling away from a busy intersection to avoid what NJ just went through
Devilsfan likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 PM

This was a very good bit of proactive driving. Unfortunately, a lot of the drivers on the road at any given time are sleepy, daydreaming, distracted, drunk, or high. If there is an accident between a bike and a cage, the rider always loses no matter who is at fault, and it is never fun being in an accident no matter what vehicle you are driving. A lot of near accidents like the one described above can be avoided by being alert and keeping a close watch on other traffic.
Devilsfan likes this.

2014 CTX700 DCT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

He may not have been able to stop at the speed he was traveling. I would imagine that's why he pulled over. Trucks with heavily loaded trailers require almost twice the distance to stop. Its not uncommon to see a truck/trailer overshoot an intersection and cause an accident or near miss, especially when trying to beat the light. Luckily you were paying attention and no harm came to you or anyone else.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Garage
You know I have found in the last few years people are stupid when driving. They have gotten very lazy and just seam to not pay attention. And not always on their phone!

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 AM

Glad your ok NJ. It is crazy out there. I had a close call the other day exiting off the freeway I had to slow down and stop for someone stalled on the exit ramp. The truck behind me slowed down and stopped also, but the truck behind him didn't . I was still in gear and there was enough space in front of me and behind me, that I was able to goose it forward, toward the shoulder of the road and avoid being hit by the guy behind me.

The fellow behind me that was hit, had a trailer hitch sticking out and it did no damage. Howevero the truck that hit him was bent up pretty good but driveable. Everyone was ok, and after seeing the only one that had damage, was the guy at fault , we all left.
So watch your front,... and your back.
Devilsfan and SeanOnAHonda like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Hammond
I just received and email from Tesla Motors with a video showing their new "autopilot" feature. The 76,000 cars apparently can get this new software feature added over-the-air. It means you may have some distracted drivers, talking not driving in the future, but the software and multiple cameras will! Maybe a better option for bikers! The link below is to the video clip I made of a driving demo using the new software! Awesome!

Jimmy H.
AKA Spirit IV in the Gallery

Spirit IV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.