Top box / trunks - Honda CTX700 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Top box / trunks

Picking up my ctx700 tomorrow. It has the side brackets a fellow member sells here and the givi 22 liter top loading side boxes. Seen lots of threads on trunks, already have a Shad 58x on my NM4 (great by the way), but looking for input on what will fit with the givi boxes & not block them from opening, can be adding over the current brackets without loosing hand grabs, give back support for passenger, and won't be overly large/heavy.

Of course it must complement the lines of the ctx 700 and if has a matching red top would be a plus. My days of cross country are over, only need capacity for a helmet or change up of riding gear.

Hate the rounded look of the Honda trunk, want more sleek. I see a lot going with Givi, but not sure I want to hanf 50+ liters on the back.

Thanks in advance.

2016 NM4
2014 ctx 700 dct
2012 Victory CCT - FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvic View Post
Picking up my ctx700 tomorrow. It has the side brackets a fellow member sells here and the givi 22 liter top loading side boxes. Seen lots of threads on trunks, already have a Shad 58x on my NM4 (great by the way), but looking for input on what will fit with the givi boxes & not block them from opening, can be adding over the current brackets without loosing hand grabs, give back support for passenger, and won't be overly large/heavy.

Of course it must complement the lines of the ctx 700 and if has a matching red top would be a plus. My days of cross country are over, only need capacity for a helmet or change up of riding gear.

Hate the rounded look of the Honda trunk, want more sleek. I see a lot going with Givi, but not sure I want to hanf 50+ liters on the back.

Thanks in advance.

I tend to look for unique additions to my bike. This box is a 2005-2009 SUZUKI VSTROM-1000-DL1000-REAR-TRUNK. which I thought really complimented the look of the bike. I got my new a few years back so they are still available around the web.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.JPG (769.8 KB, 28 views)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Very nice box! However I don't want to loose my passenger area. I want to be able to take the SO with me as comfortably as possible. HOWEVER what is the cover you have over your dash area? Does it reduce buffeting? AND YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHERE THOSE LOWER WIND DEFLECTORS CAME FROM! I put lowers on all my bikes and thought I'd have to get something fabricated. DO THEY WORK and WHERE do I get them!!! I assume they will fit a none "N" bike....

2016 NM4
2014 ctx 700 dct

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Very nice box! However I don't want to loose my passenger area. I want to be able to take the SO with me as comfortably as possible. HOWEVER what is the cover you have over your dash area? Does it reduce buffeting? AND YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHERE THOSE LOWER WIND DEFLECTORS CAME FROM! I put lowers on all my bikes and thought I'd have to get something fabricated. DO THEY WORK and WHERE do I get them!!! I assume they will fit a none "N" bike....

The bike has gone thru a number of mods, much of which I explain here.
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/hon...tomized-n.html

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/pro...tomized-n.html

Also if you want to come up with your own lowers
you can find a how-to manual here.

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/how...r-fairing.html
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest OEM backrest brackets and rear carrier with Bestem 2012 in red. Inexpensive 41 liter box with good quality and matches the red CTX. Comes with rear brake light and backrest for passenger.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc77320 View Post
Suggest OEM backrest brackets and rear carrier with Bestem 2012 in red. Inexpensive 41 liter box with good quality and matches the red CTX. Comes with rear brake light and backrest for passenger.
Do you have one? From what I've read kind of creaky and not too comfortable for passenger. What's your experience? Certainly great price.

2016 NM4
2014 ctx 700 dct
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Capacity? Would like something big enough to be useful but not out of proportion. Been struggling between the 2012 and the 929. Mostly a place to put the helmut. Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you have one? From what I've read kind of creaky and not too comfortable for passenger. What's your experience? Certainly great price.
I rode with one for 6 months and then converted it to a saddlebag using the brackets I sell. No problems in either position and its definitely been abused. If the included backrest is uncomfortable, just replace it. You have to buy the Givi backrest separately at the cost you would pay for the Bestem anyways. You might also want to consider the Bestem 929 46 liter rear box. Same price as the 2012. I've had one on the back of my bike for 3 years. Its been an excellent buy and other than starting to fade, still going strong. I could replace it twice over if I needed to for the price you would pay for a Givi without the backrest.

Last edited by jfc77320; 06-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxgac View Post
Capacity? Would like something big enough to be useful but not out of proportion. Been struggling between the 2012 and the 929. Mostly a place to put the helmut. Thanks
The 46 liter 929 will hold two full face helmets without any problem. The 2012 will too depending on the brand but its a tight fit. Both are moderately sized and in my opinion just right for the CTX. Here's an early pic of my bike with the 929 mounted on the OEM brackets/rack and 2012's mounted to the saddlebag brackets I sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0426141805.jpg (97.2 KB, 10 views)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The 46 liter 929 will hold two full face helmets without any problem. The 2012 will too depending on the brand but its a tight fit. Both are moderately sized and in my opinion just right for the CTX. Here's an early pic of my bike with the 929 mounted on the OEM brackets/rack and 2012's mounted to the saddlebag brackets I sell.

Your pic of the 929, It's on the OEM brackets and rack? Any modes? Weight limit OK?

Is the passenger backrest pads Same manufacturer or did you modify that too?

The bike I bought has your side brackets.

2016 NM4
2014 ctx 700 dct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.