Highway riding help - Honda CTX700 Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Highway riding help

Okay so I have 2500 miles on my ctx700n and I still have issues riding on highway..i don't have a windshield because all of them are ugly. I feel once I hit 55 mph I'm going to self destruct! This is my first bike btw..
Should I be leaning way forward? I'm 225 lbs and am wondering if the bike is a little small for me...Is it a matter of just keep doing and maybe I'll stop fearing death..lol
fjones likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
For what it's worth, I'm 320 lbs and I enjoy the CTX. The bike handles my weight fine.

Glenn
fjones likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmtech View Post
Okay so I have 2500 miles on my ctx700n and I still have issues riding on highway..i don't have a windshield because all of them are ugly. I feel once I hit 55 mph I'm going to self destruct! This is my first bike btw..
Should I be leaning way forward? I'm 225 lbs and am wondering if the bike is a little small for me...Is it a matter of just keep doing and maybe I'll stop fearing death..lol

Besides parting the wind and taking the pressure off your chest I think having a windshield in front of you gives the rider a little more confidence and security.
aoshust68 likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to riding a motorcycle, there is wind! The CTX isn't too bad with the half fairing/coverage even without a shield. Naked CTX is typical for a naked cruiser. Try a naked standard, now that is wind!

Don't lean forward, it is a cruiser! Sit back, hold on to the bars and cruise~

Sport bikes lean forward.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Is it a matter of just keep doing and maybe I'll stop fearing death..lol
Hopefully you will get over that feeling, but honestly it's always in the back of my mind. I love interstate riding but folks and cell phones are a problem. Always know what's going on around you and have an out. As for the wind... a windscreen makes a big difference. I am new to this bike but others have a lot more experience. Are there any detachable for the CTX?
fjones likes this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 PM

Garage
Hi Darmtech, I'm 6'0" and 208 lbs. I have a '16 CTX700D so with the fairing not N model like you. However, I find that riding on the highway is very comfortable even with my shorty stock windshield. I feel comfortable at any speed, relax the arms and sit back straight without rounding out the shoulders. (sort of like on a horse..ha) Truly comfortable bike and I'm a novice. Feel very secure in the saddle at 70-75mph. Really don't need much more. Relax and enjoy the ride but keep your eyes moving.
fjones and Jimmy Hammond like this.

"The Devil Made Me Do It"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 AM

I'm sure I'll catch **** for posting this but im 250lbs and i got the bike to 101 on the highway today (long straight with no other vehicles around) i had to lean forward to get the last 3 mph but at 98 sitting upright it wasnt to bad. Mine has faiting and stock shorty.
Rebel13, fjones and brianmohney1 like this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is another thing, go even faster, it will get worse! Then when you back off, it will no longer feel as bad anymore. It is all a matter of getting use to~
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 03:27 AM

Garage
I've only owned three bikes, all with no fairings, and have never had a problem with highway speeds. I think you'll get used to it. I weigh 220 so I'm no lightweight. We had a fairly warm day today (for Washington) and I rode about 175 miles - mostly between 55 and 65 MPH. The wind feels great thru my riding jacket - I definitely would not have wanted to block it.

I CAN say that recently I rode a friends 2006 750 Shadow with a windshield. It was nice to be able to have the visor open for airflow, and there were no (new) bugs on my helmet or jacket. It was however a bit warm. Not to mention that bike weighs a ton for a 750, and my knees were all over the gas tank. That bike has a windshield that can be removed easily in about 30 seconds. If you decide to get one, I would look for that feature.
fjones likes this.

------
Previous Motorbikes:
- 1986 CB700SC Honda Nighthawk S
- 1990 Yamaha YX600
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmtech View Post
Sometimes ya got to give up the look for the comfort. Me personally am not effected by the wind on my CTX. While some can't ride without their Cee Bailey's a few of us are fine with the OEM's. But wind is part of the motorcycle experience.

Quote:
To me the CTX is hard to lean forward due to it's design. You may want to look into a set of Rox risers and do some adjusting with the bars, which in turn will adjust the way you sit somewhat. May help with the wind.

Also, helmets can contribute to the buffeting. Maybe try riding at speed with different models of helmets.
fjones and Atarian like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.