Bike Is Dead - Honda CTX700 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Bike Is Dead

So, a mechanical genius I am not. I had been starting my bike weekly throughout the winter but at some point, I left the ignition in the on position thus killing the battery(duh!). When I was unable to get it to charge, I bought a new one. I have installed it but cannot get any electrical power at all. Positive to positive, negative to negative, what else could I be missing? A goggle search has provided no answers. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Garage
Check the main fuse and or fuses.
Mdaniels4 likes this.

Ride baby ride.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctx man View Post
Check the main fuse and or fuses.
yep, gotta be that, or the kill switch was hit.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM

Once you get it fixed and running, get yourself a battery tender, problem solved. Good Luck.
TeamTJ and PA Dave like this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelPPaw View Post
Once you get it fixed and running, get yourself a battery tender, problem solved. Good Luck.
Good advice right there. I start using the tender in November and quit in April and never had a dead battery. I do ride a few times throughout the winter, which is better than just starting it for a few minutes every now and then. It needs to run long enough evaporate any condensation that forms in the exhaust system in a cold start, as well as re-charge the battery from starting it up.
Mdaniels4 and Bleys like this.

Current Ride: 2014 CTX700 "Vivian"
Past Rides: 2003 Shadow Spirit 750 "Annie" (Sold)
1976 Kawasaki KH400 2-stroke triple "(inappropriate for young readers)" (Sold and wish I hadn't)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (Crashed)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Starting the bike and running it for 5 or 10 minutes will not charge the battery, you would have to get the revs up to 3500 rpms or more to charge the battery. You would be better off to take the bike out and take a good drive for a 1/2 hour or more if you can depending on the weather. Or get a battery tender a lot easier.
PA Dave likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Idle is about 1,250 rpm. Charging starts at about 1,500 rpm. Over that, the more rpm's, the more charge applied respectively.

Some may say use a tender, but that only helps the battery, it will still die in do time.

I say ride it, not only are you charging the battery, you are also cycling everything from the engine to the wheel bearings, everything! A sitting bike is a dying bike!
Rogertt73 likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Garage
So reality is this:

Battery Tender: Will trickle charge the battery, if set properly and the only way to do this. Some people run straight charger and this will kill your battery as it wears down.

Running the bike on idle, wont do anything for winter use.

Some people will pull the battery out of the bike completely, and this is what I did when I lived out east. In perspective I always knew I would kill batteries it was just a part of it.

As for why you're battery won't power the bike, same check main electrical and kill.
Mdaniels4 likes this.

1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
2014 CTX
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Idle is about 1,250 rpm. Charging starts at about 1,500 rpm. Over that, the more rpm's, the more charge applied respectively.

Some may say use a tender, but that only helps the battery, it will still die in do time.

I say ride it, not only are you charging the battery, you are also cycling everything from the engine to the wheel bearings, everything! A sitting bike is a dying bike!
I used a tender for 8 years on the same battery on the burg rebel. At least 5 months in the year, for 8 years, and the batt was still strong. Every spring. First start every start. Yes it was probably an abberation, to some degree, but really, 8 years on the original batt? I think not.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
I used a tender for 8 years on the same battery on the burg rebel. At least 5 months in the year, for 8 years, and the batt was still strong. Every spring. First start every start. Yes it was probably an abberation, to some degree, but really, 8 years on the original batt? I think not.
I don't think you get my point. A tender only tends the battery. It may or may not help the batteries life, batteries themselves are unpredictable. Point was, it needs charging at times. What is better than charging the battery is using the bike so everything can be used/refreshed rather than just sitting there and rotting away when a battery could possibly extend life by itself, but will always remain a wearable short lived component anyway. Priorities~
SeanOnAHonda and Rogertt73 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.