Self-Balancing Honda - Honda CTX700 Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Self-Balancing Honda

Soon to come to the DCT model?

Honda Riding Assist Technology Lets Motorcycles Balance Themselves

2014 Black (the fastest 'color' ) CTX700N (ABS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM

My son is skeptical. But I say, lots of us have done that stupid "stop-and-drop" that makes you feel like a moron. This could be pretty cool. Low speed only - changes the rake angle.

And yet, it's another thing that might break.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
My son is skeptical. But I say, lots of us have done that stupid "stop-and-drop" that makes you feel like a moron. This could be pretty cool. Low speed only - changes the rake angle.

And yet, it's another thing that might break.
So could my ignition and fuel controls, but Honda seems too have worked that all out.

Honda's making it so easy that almost anybody can ride a bike. Even me. Combine the DCT with the low speed stability, and you have the ultimate city bike. I could see them putting both features on a slightly smaller bike, like the new Rebel 500, and kicking total butt in the urban cruiser market.

2 Days Older Than Dirt

2017 CTX700 DCT/ABS
jfc Brackets
Viking Lamellar Bags
Bestem 929
Kury floorboards
Cee Bailey 21" w/vent

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt we will see anything like this in small, inexpensive models like the CTX any time soon due to the cost but its definitely coming in the larger premium based models. Everything changes in 2020 due to all the mandatory safety and fuel efficiency requirements that take effect. Todays motorcycling will look nothing like motorcycling of the future. It will be interesting to see how many of the smaller manufacturers survive.
Dave Novotny likes this.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 AM

That looks totally cool.
If it's a 1K upgrade from the base model, I'd get it...
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
I say neato! Particularly for those with limited mobility who still want to get out and enjoy life but are only limited by their limbs. We got folks in this forum who swapped to a CTX because their legs weren't strong enough to stand up a heavier bike so this is a perfect evolution of a similar mindset.

Nice find, thanks for sharing that!

CTX700 DCT ABS:
- Gyde heated clothing, Garmin 595LM, Aux 18w Lights, OPT7 LED Headlight, eScott_Oiler {Pending}, Collision warning laser {Pending}
Content contributor to SolidState Citizen and Deviant Pixels Blogs

Bike contemplation List:
FJR1300AE, KTM1290, BMW1000XR, Super Tenere ES
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Garage
The attitude I'm seeing on just about every tech site that reported this, in their comments, can be summed up as "If you can't keep your bike up without help, you have no business being on one".

I'd love to see this on those 800+ pound leviathons like Goldwings, etc. I purposely don't want a big bike, because if it dropped, I'd never be able to pick it up by myself.
Rider Tom likes this.

2015 CTX700D Tsundere Heavy Motorcycle "Takao"
Corbin standard seat w/backrest, Bestem 929 case, CeeBailey Windscreen, Opti7 headlight, FIAMM horn, RAM phone mount, and more to come.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBob View Post
The attitude I'm seeing on just about every tech site that reported this, in their comments, can be summed up as "If you can't keep your bike up without help, you have no business being on one".

I'd love to see this on those 800+ pound leviathons like Goldwings, etc. I purposely don't want a big bike, because if it dropped, I'd never be able to pick it up by myself.
Ahhhh, the blessings of a third wheel!!
kujawskir and mdq636 like this.

Click on this URL for information on my heel/toe foot shifter thread: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx...tml#post711858
Click on this URL to look over my CTX trike build thread: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx...mizations.html

Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers: http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitte View Post
Ahhhh, the blessings of a third wheel!!
Whelp, I like the looks of some of the trikes, but 2 factors stopping that for me.

1. still young and healthy enough to comfortably ride on 2 wheels, as long as it's not my aforementioned 800+ pound leviathon

2. I have no space to store a trike. Need to build a garage if I want one.

And frankly, if I went 3 wheels, I'd most likely go sidecar, and probably get me an Ural
JH700CTX, TIP and Geophizz like this.

2015 CTX700D Tsundere Heavy Motorcycle "Takao"
Corbin standard seat w/backrest, Bestem 929 case, CeeBailey Windscreen, Opti7 headlight, FIAMM horn, RAM phone mount, and more to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.